NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

RC anyone

John Togger

Not tonight sadly. I did have a quick look out with the grab n go in the garden but there was lots of high level cloud spoiling the view.

Hope all is clear at RC ;)

Fingers crossed, Wednesday evening looks okay at the moment.

What setup are you using John? I found I had to really cut down the exposure time and up the ISO when taking unguided photos. Whilst the shorter exposures seemed to help with reducing the effects of light pollution, I was just left with noisy images sadly.

I hope to do some experimenting with the camera & lens (D5000 and 55-200 kit lens) fixed to an EQ mount and see if I can drop the ISO / lengthen the exposure. I hope to get some nice widefield images ;)

After playing around with high ISOs the previous night at 18mm and 200mm, I went with ISO100 on 10 secs subs using a 500mm lens. Camera is a 350D. In retrospect, I was probably a bit optimistic and should have gone for much shorter shots.

Archived