Daft moon question!

Hi guys,sorry about this really daft question but I have to ask.

When will the moon be out tonight?

It's looking like tonight could be my first proper night for viewing stuff,after merely a few hours after building the scope the other night.

Also is there anything exciting that could be easy to find tonight?

Oh just one more question.

What angle should I start viewing tonight?

I've set it at 40 degrees.

Danny.

when you say "angle set" are you talking about the equatorial mount degree setting ?

Yes mate,I wasn't sure what to call it.;)

I tried the stellarium but it won't work on iPad.

I downloaded an app called star chart.Not sure if it's any good or not though.Still trying to figure out how to use it.

Danny.

Thanks for that,bookmarked ready for later.

I've just figured out the star chart app so hopefully it should be usefull.

I kind of feel like I'm cheating though.I need to finish reading the turn left book too.

Danny.

Thanks for that,bookmarked ready for later.

I've just figured out the star chart app so hopefully it should be usefull.

I kind of feel like I'm cheating though.I need to finish reading the turn left book too.

Danny.

Take it out with you, mines dogged eared with use but such a good scope side companion. This and the star walk app help me immensely...........

Not cheating, many use goto's and other guiding equipment. Best have the tools to hand rather than becoming frustrated.

Yes mate,I wasn't sure what to call it.;)

I tried the stellarium but it won't work on iPad.

I downloaded an app called star chart.Not sure if it's any good or not though.Still trying to figure out how to use it.

Danny.

If you have an equatorial mount. The "angle" needs to be set at your latitude. If you are in the UK, that will be in the 50s depending on where you are.

You will also need to align your mount pointing North.

It isn't the end of the World if you can't but if you do, it will enable you to track objects as the Earth spins on its axis and the sky appears to move.

Happy hunting!

If you have an equatorial mount. The "angle" needs to be set at your latitude. If you are in the UK, that will be in the 50s depending on where you are.

You will also need to align your mount pointing North.

It isn't the end of the World if you can't but if you do, it will enable you to track objects as the Earth spins on its axis and the sky appears to move.

Happy hunting!

I'm in north Wales,so I'll have a go at the polar alignment shortly.I've memorised it from the instructions so I need to get used to doing it.

Looks like a very clear night is approaching.;)

polar ilignment isnt critical for visual use. you can get away with placing the mount roughly north with the degree setting on the mount set to your latitude,again roughly. and hey you'll get some dark skies in your neck of the woods eh.

good luck.

Archived