Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Crab nebula

Great question! But, just so you know (and so you don't get discouraged), I have yet to even SEE it through my 'scope (fuzzy or not), and am awaiting an opportunity to visit a dark sky site to do so. Keep the faith, and clear (and dark) skies!

I have seen the Crab in fairly dark skies with a 4" newt and years later with a 10" newt and with the 10", it looks rather small, fairly bright and with just a hint of structure details with medium power. It does need fairly dark sky to observe (limiting mag. near the zenith of at least 4th mag.) and being only one LP field from a bright star, its easy to find,

though many observers in the U.K. have trouble finding and observing it, here in the U.S. it seems a lot easier to observe for some reason.

The crab nebula is not a dramatic object visually unless you have a monster scope. It's basically a dim fuzzball.

You would think that Messier might have chosen something more dramatic to be M1.

Strangely enough this same subject cropped up in some other threads a few days ago, it would seem by all accounts that Messier may have had a different view of the Crab than we do now, as it is thought that it was many time brighter, some 200 years ago, than it is at present :)

Archived