Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Which 80mm APO refractor

Hi all

Some advice please It's bonus pay this month :wink: and looking at a couple of 80mm scopes. I currently have a WO Zenithstar 80 11 ED which had a tube fault from new, the tube was replaced through a well known WO Dealer only to discover that the replacement tube was shorter than the original one and the scope couldn't focus so an extension tube was forwarded on to rectify the problem :cool: Have now decided to sell this - Anyone interested, just let me know around the £200 mark plus postage. Anyhow how do you owners of the two scopes below rate them.

1) Skywatcher Pro Series 80 ED

2) Meade 80 mm APO Triplet

My preference is for the Skywatcher from FLO.

Cheers colonel cluster

Colonel, I'm in exactly the same boat as you, see here....

Yeah - i just had a look after posting :? I think that the SW,s focal length 600mm F7.5 might lean me more towards it and it would be easy to mount on my EQ3 or Vixen Porta mount. I also wonder what arrangement there is for mounting a WO RDF on the Meade? Thanks so far to all for your assistance.

Cheers CC

I have the Skywatcher ED80 Pro....

What can I say....It's the most used scope in my collection..

Solar, Lunar, Widefield...Grab'N'Go on my EQ3..... 8)

Go on you know you want one.... :wink:

I also wonder what arrangement there is for mounting a WO RDF on the Meade?

Yeah, I was chatting to Steve @ FLO earlier about it and I forgot to ask him about mounting some kind of finder, I was looking at the Baader Skysurfer, but I don't fancy doing a 'Blue Peter' and putting double sided pads on my nice shiny new scope..

Go on you know you want one....

You're right y'know, I've been swaying in that direction this afternoon (as well as all the others!) because you can't argue in terms of value.....

Tony..

I must apologise for the curtains and the paint job in the dining room :shock:

The wife had a Lawrence Llewellyn Bowen moment a couple of years ago... :wink:

"It's not orange...it's Mediterranean burnt amber.."

We've all been there..... :cool:

I've got an ED80 and haven't tried any other 80mm refractor. It is a real workhorse for me. I have imaged with it at native focal length and with a 0.67 focal reducer. When not being used as my main scope it is often doing guide scope duty. It just delivers flawlessly.

It's a bit bulky with it's 100mm tube. Some people grumble about the Crayford focusser. It isn't as smooth as the WO but I have no trouble getting a tight focus with it.

It isn't as sexy as the WO scopes but the optics are spot on.

Archived