Replacing damaged telescope optics

I've just successfully removed. cleaned, replaced and realigned the mirrors in my 200P StarWatcher Newtonian.

It occurred to me to check where I would obtain replacements if the worst happened i.e. I dropped 'em!

Spares don't seem to be readily available.

Anyone know of a good supplier in the event of mishaps?

Galvoptics sell mirrors and you can get GSO mirrors from Telescope Service.

The diameters are fairly standard, however the focal length would have to be a close match. Simply as the image plane (focal length) has to fall at the right position (say within +- 10mm) for the focuser to place the eyepiece at the correct position.

With regards to the Skywatchers and Meades I would guess that they could be built around the GSO mirrors so the Telescope Service GSO offerings may be a direct replacement.

Thanks to both of you for those links, which I have checked out.

I'm rather surprised that Skywatcher don't advertise spare mirrors as standard accessories. These mirrors must be mass produced items.

I've emailed a SW representing company in the UK to ask.

Looking at some of the prices I've found so far almost makes me think it would be almost as cheap to buy the whole telescope tube in the event of disaster.

The optics are bound to be the most expensive part of a scope - the rest of it is just a support framework for them really. The accuracy with which mirrors need to be figured to is astonishing - a decent mirror surface has to be made to a parabolic curve where the maximum deviation is around 1/1000th the thickness of a human hair.

Then there is the aluminising and overcoating - both precision processes. Despite mass production I'm amazed that a good 8" mirror set can be bought for a couple of hundred quid to be honest.

Then there is the aluminising and overcoating - both precision processes. Despite mass production I'm amazed that a good 8" mirror set can be bought for a couple of hundred quid to be honest.

I still think it's amazing that a good parabolic mirror can be made by hand.

James

Synta (or Suzhou Synta) make Skywatcher, Celestron, Orion (USA), Saxon optics and scopes and probably a few other brands around the world too. Synta own the Skywatcher and Celestron brands now. I think they are China based.

GSO (Guan Sheng Optical) make scopes / optics for Meade Lightbridges, TS Dobsonians, Revelation dobsonains, Zhumell dobsonians (USA brand) and others. I think GSO are Taiwan based.

Just a follow up on this ....

I emailed SkyWatcher who replied saying they absolutely sell replacement mirrors, and to please contact optical vision limited for further details regarding purchase information.

Probably worth noting that in the back of the mind somewhere ..... just in case. ;)

Archived