Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

60/66mm OTA - what should I expect?

I use a William Optics ZS66 and sometimes piggy back it on my NS8. I think the focal length is probably a bit short for guiding the NS8 at F10 although I've never tried. I have also piggy backed my ED80 onto the NS8 - balancing isn't that tricky with the set up I have but I do slow down the slew speed. The ED80 is excessively bulky and a WO ZS80 would be a more managable ota.

Someone else found this image in another thread (dont ask, I dont know...)

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=14735.0;attach=7265;image

And that really starts to show the scale of the problem. I`d be wondering if I need to balance the ED80 because of the NS8GPS strapped to the base :wink: The ED80 is nearly 25 inches long, and the NS8 OTA is only 21 inches.

The WO ZS80 (14.7" long) and the SW Equinox 80 (Steve @ FLO - any idea of the OTA length?) both appear to be much "smaller" and less bulky than the ED80, so maybe I`ll still go for aperture....

Now, next question.... how do I sneak the second OTA into the house and start using it without getting those disapproving looks from my wife? :cool: (I`m hoping that the black coatings on the Equinox will kind of hide it when it gets dark)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Steve @ FLO - any idea of the OTA length?

I don't have any figures available but the box lengh is 40cm, so shorter than that.

More HERE

Have also just been advised that the Meade 80mm ED APO is unavailable until Winter, at the earliest :wink:

Yet another change of plan... just been down to my local shop (Greenwitch) and they had a WO80mm, WO66mm, and a Equinox 66mm.... when I put the 80mm on the top of the CPC8 they have, the scale of the two scopes became very aparant. I may ned to go for 66mm just to keep the thing balanced <sigh>

Grrrr... all I want is a small-ish half decent refractor. Not too hard is it???

See, now I've stopped smoking, I'm thinking I should treat myself to something 'extra-special' for being such a good boy..Maybe something a little bigger...

Tony..

Archived