SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

despair,do i sell up or spend a small fortune on something bigger

I've made out the dust lanes of M31 with 16x50 bins and dark skies.

I always mention on threads like this that the human eye imposes a limit on the maximum brightness of a fuzzy object - a larger telescope can't make M31 brighter, it can only make it bigger, which in M31's case is not an advantage. Only stars increase in brightness proportionally with aperture, which is why globulars in particular look better in big scopes.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The other thing is if you're not "feeling it" just put the whole thing to one side and forget about it for a few months.

It's a hobby for a lifetime not an afternoon.

You shouldn't pressurise yourself into enjoying it.

WOW, Thanks guys for all your input, all very interesting and helpfull. i've been enquiring about clubs in my area and just waiting for a some replies. still got the urge to get the 12" dob with auto tracking but not goto as i fancy the idea of finding things for myself, sounds more interesting.i'll let you know, so long as i don't get too much grief from her indoors. Thanks again, i love this forum site,its the best.

Archived