NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Clear skies again!

Sing Hosannahs, the great sky drought of 2007 appears to be over! I got out for an hour on Saturday night, 3 hours on Sunday night and if my luck holds out it's going to be worth getting out tonight again as well. Forecast for the next couple of days is even better. I was beginning to think that some evil superbeing had seen me buying a new scope and decided to spoil the rest of my life.

Shame I busted the finder on my ETX.

And that it isn't actually getting dark at all.

And there's no planets in a decent position.

It's certain that dark forces are constantly at work undermining our ability to do astronomy. Or perhaps, at this time of the year, light forces.

Even ritual sacrifice to the weather gods doesn't work either. I'm running out of live chickens.

Good for you if you can get outside

Geoff

This has been an incredibly frustrating summer. Waited months for decent skies, then it clears beautifully and the past two nights have shown the best skies possible for the time of year. Of course, this is the perfect time for the mount on my 6SE to play up. On Saturday night it decided that it won't budge in the azimuth. The motor is whirring but no movement. Turns out that the grub screw that holds the gear in place has come loose ... grrrr. It's on its way back to be fixed (thanks Steve). Had a go myself but can't get the right allen key. Thank God for bino's and the Milky Way.

Enjoy the clear skies all SGL'ers in Scotland, we've waited long enough.

Cheers Martin

Martin

Bad luck. Hope it gets sorted soon.

Like I said before, the kit hangs around doing sod all for ages, and when you can actually use it ...... it won't work!

Murphy's Law triumphs again, I'm afraid. It's happened to me several times. Feel like kicking the stuff, but that would probably make things even worse.

Chin up.

Geoff

Thanks for the sympathy. My problems serve to highlight the importance of that 2nd-backup scope (a big dob being my current preference). Now I just need to persuade the missus.

Forgot to mention the icing on the cake I'm on my hols at the mo, so no need to get up early. With no scope though, there's no point in staying up. :wink:

Martin

Archived