SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

dobsonian standard vs flex tube

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello,

I'm joining quite late here. I love how someone kindly added the truss design to the mix here.

Trusses I've read are more needy but still breakdown and perhaps the most compact.

Flextubes are as heavy as the car though still compact.

Price considered I'd have to say the tube seems to be the way to go and spend the savings on push to, which might be off topic but would love to know how that works.

Seems the decision has already been made but fwiw I would have said solid tube anyway. Only reason I got the flex was the transportation element of the scope. I can easily manage the folded down ota into my car, the base is trickier as its more cumbersome. Goto is there and I love it but thats another thing entirely.

• 3 months later...

a light shroud helps a bit with the contrast under street lights, in my experience.

I noticed that no-one has mentioned collimation.. I don't know how it is with a solid tube, but I have the need to collimate the flex-tube after extending it each time.

It's not a hassle with a laser collimator (2 minutes, max), but I was wondering if solid tube users also collimate it before each use.

I really doubt that anyone would be disappointed with either one of them, though..

But I like the collapsed size for transportation in my not-so-large car.

I live in a countryside area with very little light pollution so I don't see myself transporting the scope to other locations.

I think the flextube looks better, but is there much benefit in getting it in my case?

I'm also interested in whether the solid tube requires less collimation.

Archived