NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where does the filter go when added to the setup?

I have a Skywatcher 200p and do some observing, with 1.25" eyepieces, and some imaging with a DSLR connected to the 2" fitting.

I've been looking at getting a light pollution filter (probably this one) but I can't find any information on how a light pollution filter attaches to the scope, so I can't figure out if a 2" filter would work in both imaging and observing.

Does anybody have any words of wisdom for a confused novice?

Cheers

Dan

Hi Dan. The filter can either be placed directly at the end of the EP that goes into the scope (not the part of the EP you look through) or it can go directly onto the star diagonal. This is a better idea because it saves you having to attach it to the EP every time you swap them while observing.

For imaging, i am not really sure how you would use it because you dont use an EP or a star diagonal for this. You simply mount the DSLR directly to the scope (where the star diagonal would go).

Filters screw into the bottom of your eyepieces. on the inside.

check to see if you have a threaded eyepiece before buying the filter.

You can probably get specific filters for your DSLR for imaging.

So for viewing: the eyepiece filter will work

for photography: Camera lense filters will work.

In your current configuration, you can't attach a 2" filter in the chain.

You need to do one of the following :

1) Switch to a 2" nosepiece (that will accept a 2" filter) rather than the t-ring (this may cause you problems with back focus.)

2) Puchase a clip in filter (if your camera body is an EOS, costly!)

3) Find (eBay) a custom t-ring that will hold an unmounted 2" filter (I don't like this approach, but some do.)

To use a 2" filter whilst using 1.25" EPs in your set up, you need a replacement 1.25" to 2" adaptor that will accept a filter. I don't think the standard one does this?

They also screw onto the opposite end of a DSLR T-adapter. On an SCT you'd need to use a normal T-adapter inplace of the diagonal rather than say use one of the direct SCT to DSLR adpators.

The filters can also screw onto barlows.

I see, I guess I'll need separate filters for observing and imaging then. I had hoped that a 2" filter would fit somewhere in between the 2" tube and T-ring or the 2"tube and 1.25" adapter.

I'll have a look on the 2" fitting and T ring to see if there's any place for imaging filters in there.

Thanks for the replies, most helpful :)

They also screw onto the opposite end of a DSLR T-adapter. On an SCT you'd need to use a normal T-adapter inplace of the diagonal rather than say use one of the direct SCT to DSLR adpators.

The filters can also screw onto barlows.

Well tickle me pink. In all the time i have owned a DSLR and a light pollution filter i have never once thought about checking to see if the filter will screw onto the nosepice adapter.

It does.

Well tickle me pink. In all the time i have owned a DSLR and a light pollution filter i have never once thought about checking to see if the filter will screw onto the nosepice adapter.

It does.

OMG, I've actually managed to help someone on here. Theirs a first :)

Archived