Newbie advice!

About to take the plunge into the world of astronomy but getting a bit bogged down choosing a scope. Narrowed it down to skywatcher explorers either the 130p with a goto mount or the 150p. Is a goto essential? Would there be much difference in what I will see between the two? Any advice greatly appreciated

Hi, yes there will be a fair amount of difference between those 2 scopes, the 150P giving better views, particularly of DSO's. The GoTo is useful, but it's also good to try and learn your way a round with a star chart or planisphere; a copy of 'Turn Left at Orion' is cheaper than a GoTo, and more fun IMO :)

The 150 with a GOTO will be awesome. as long as you know how to align it correctly and set your mount. If not, just get a similar sized scope on a RA motor drive as this will track the stars once YOU find them. so it wont find things for you but it will keep them in sight when you do.. and you can use it manually. A GOTO without power is a WONTGOTOANYWHERE. very nasty if you are in a field.

I will also add that I used to own a 6" scope and I miss it sooooooo much. I wish I knew better what I was doing back then and I wouldn't have sold it. It will give big views, and with good eyepieces(matters more if it is a fast scope) you will see huge jupiter to galaxy's far far away.

It can depend a lot on the user - are you quite a patient type? Hunting down feint fuzzies can be quite a challenge, and some nights you manage (or at least *I* manage) to not find anything I was looking for!

I went through the same thinking process a year or so ago and as you can see from my signature ended with the 150P.

Was I pleased with my choice?

A qualified yes.

Let me explain. To start, using a telescope for the first time is not IMO easy or obvious but like any scientific instrument (which is what a tescope is, not a toy) takes practice to get the best out of. If you are like me there will be plenty of frustration but the joy when you go out and find what you are looking for is like nothing else. To keep the spirits up there are simple naked eye subjects that are easy, the planets and moon being the obvious two.

The next question, did I make the right choice?

Difficult to answer as I have not used a GOTO scope but I suggest you look at all the threads that suggest that their use isn't as simple as the sales blurb would have you believe.

Last, have I enjoyed the first year with my scope? A definite yes, would be better if the weather allowed more use but that's another story.

HTH.

There's nothing like the feeling when you find a DSO ect, you also learn the night sky a lot quicker, get as much glass as you can afford and a tracking system so the DSO is still in view after that cuppa warming tea...:)

I've got the 150p as well and would definately recommend it.

I decided I wanted to learn to star hop and the satisfaction when finding a faint galaxy or nebula all on your own is immense!

I've got to the point now though where I'd like a more appropriate mount for astrophotography and they will come with GOTO. It will be a great time saver on those nights spent solely imaging.

Nice name by the way :)

Archived