NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

messier marathon order.

rory

found this handy site,where you can put in your location and horizon limits.looked it up as im thinking of trying out a marathon from either my home location(not ideal but would still grab a fair few i think) or i may venture away a little with a good supply of coffee and torch batteries.

but i wanted an idea of an order to viewing,and althougfh there are alot of hits,so far i found this one the best.

The Messier Marathon Planner by Larry McNish

just incase anyone new is thinking of trying the same.

This list is not exactly the Marathon list, but if you follow it through the night, theoretically, you should be able to see all the "M" objects in one long night.

Messier Program List | The Astronomical League

You have to start almost during astronomical twilight, and end up in astronomical dawn in order to catch at least the brightest objects at each end of the really dark hours.

Our club has had a fairly concerted effort to award its members with certificates that go above the Astronomical League's requirements. I personally, have identified all 110 objects on the extended Messier list, and the current requirements are not that strict.

The League also has a "Binocular Messier Award", and that list still has a good number of the brighter M Objects that can be spotted with a decent pair of binocs.

Good luck! Jim S.

Archived