Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone have a lightbridge?

I've read loads and loads on a EQ6/ED set up and now it's time to read up on Dobs.

Has anyone on this forum have a Meade 16" Lightbridge and would like to share some thoughts on it.

For the price you seem to get alot of aperture for your bucks. But what is it really like for quality as we all know Meade does seem to suffer a bit in this catorgry.

What is it like for portability?

Is it smooth and judder free in Alt/az.

What is the EP height?

Any takers..

Mick

I've read loads and loads on a EQ6/ED set up and now it's time to read up on Dobs.

Has anyone on this forum have a Meade 16" Lightbridge and would like to share some thoughts on it.

For the price you seem to get alot of aperture for your bucks. But what is it really like for quality as we all know Meade does seem to suffer a bit in this catorgry.

What is it like for portability?

Is it smooth and judder free in Alt/az.

What is the EP height?

Any takers..

Mick

Hi,

For what it's worth I was in MC2's showroom in Frome yesterday collecting my new scope and they have a 16" Lightbridge all setup in their shop. When pointed straight up the eyepiece was about 6" above my head, I'm 5' 10" tall. The movements in azimuth and altitude were extremely smooth and required little effort, much smoother than my Skyliner 10" Dob. The build quality looked excellent and it had a very nice looking 2 speed crayford focusser on it. I messed around with it for about 10 mins while Charles was checking my new Evostar out. Hope this is of limited use for you !

best wishes.

Jim

Thanks Jim..

I'm also 5.10 so I'm glad you pointed this out. It's very rare you would use it pointed straight up so the height should be ok.

Thanks for the info.

Mick

Doc

You should be aware that the base section is v. heavy! And the base itself is very large in terms of diameter.

On a downside, the top section does not store inside the bottom section (I think Meade missed a trick there), so you still need to transport two sections, plus the poles.

But having used a 12" at Kelling, I can imagine the 16 will give superb views - absolute stonkers!!

I will soon be curator to our A.S. 12", something I am looking forward to :wink:

Thanks Jim..

I'm also 5.10 so I'm glad you pointed this out. It's very rare you would use it pointed straight up so the height should be ok.

Thanks for the info.

Mick

Step ladders at the ready Mick ? :wink:

Archived