Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

10Micron GM2000HPS operational!

perfrej

So, it is assembled and tested. This is some mount. 50kg load capacity, 20°/s slew, 10 million point per revolution encoders, network port - the list goes on.

I ordered the "ultra portable" version (!). Ultra? Well... I put my NEQ6 beside it in the pictures below. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves and proclaim the unit "Balcony ready" ;-)

This is how the stuff is packed

01cases.jpg

02cases.jpg

The head is split in two parts, one for each axis

03dec.jpg

04mount.jpg

05mount.jpg

06ra.jpg

07head.jpg

08head.jpg

The box is in a separate case (I will have this changed for a mount mounted one that sort of extends the pier adapter by 8cm, right under the head)

09box.jpg

Compare NEQ6 and GM2000...

10two.jpg

With the EdgeHD 9.25 on, ready for balcony duty!

11one.jpg

I filmed it doing a meridian flip at 17°/s:

Right-click and save as This

/per

I got to see one of these in the flesh last night with a Officina Stellare RC on top when I picked up my Televue Powermate. It's big but doesn't seem that bulky! Now where did I put my lottery ticket!

NikK,

You are right in that it is nowhere near as bulky as some other products in the same price range. And the price... Yeah, it's steep, but I do believe that every serious amateur astronomer ends up with a mount in that price range sooner or later. At that point, it should be your last mount ever, so the sooner you get one the cheaper it is on the whole, right? :)

Now, if only the sky could clear... It must be my own fault, though, because I have bought all the stuff in my signature and then some, all within the last 14 months. :hello2:

Maybe tonight...

/per

I've seen (ogled?) Per's mount and it is a very beautifully made item into which serious thought has been put. Grinde is casually knocking out long unguided Ha subs on his, too. Yes, it's quite an item. Mind you, Per's tweaked NEQ6 was pretty smooth as well... and he ministered to my mount in his spare time to boot.

Have fun, Per. That's one lucky balcony...

Olly

Really Impressive! I hesitated for this mount as well, but now that I see it next to the eq6 woaw that is big, almost as big as the mesu ...

I'm curious at your guiding results that encoder really seems tempting, Gemini has the same thing now but also a big mount ... I'll stick with my G11 for the moment not small either, I know but with an AO unit maybe in the same range in regards to guiding ...

They tell me that the encoders spit out around a million ticks per revolution, so that should be good. Besides, tracking in both axises with a really good atmospheric refraction model probably adds to the accuracy. I was very close to getting a Gemini G53F (or whatever it is called) but went for this instead. Support is good (Baader) and the product is truly amazing.

Trying for 2350 mm focal length tonight, just for fun.

Here is a straight screen-dump out of Nebulosity 3. You can see the pixel size. Single sub, medium bright star next to M81, not in the center of the frame.

star01.jpg

/per

That seems more then OK, what's the sub length ...

Really interested in the smaller stars and 15 and 30 minute subs ... (big ones hide error)

The mesu has also the refraction model, but I think we have turned that one off.

Yves.

It was the RS232 cable that was damaged in transport or something. The connector has TxD, RxD, GND and +5V in it so there is potential for smoke with those thin wires. Control box is being checked and I have a loaner in the mean time. Excellent service from Baader Planetarium. They're a friendly bunch and work in very close cooperation with 10Micron.

I took a GPS that I had in my stash and made an adapter and it works great with the mount from that very connector, power and all.

/per

I really hoped it would have been smaller ... in that range the Mesu is way better ...

Direct drive and friction drive win over geared solutions anytime of the day ...

The encoder is nice, but not needed on friction drive as the error is really slow and easily guided out.

I really was close of buying the IEQ45 with encoder but at 4 800 euro I want better build quality ... and the only thing you get for the extra 3 000K is just the encoder

Maybe one day I'll buy the TDM for the G11, loosing the polar scope is a downside however, especially when you use the mount in a portable way.

Or who knows they bring out a GM1000HPS version, oh yes at 20Kg load capacity and 4.5K that would rule the market ...

Yves.

I have seen your setup Yves and the iEQ45 might budge under the mighty Orion :-)

Mesu seems pretty much unbeatable to be honest.

The fact that iOptron even bother putting encoders on the 45 for the GT version proves though that they have confidence in the build of it. (Mine has no encoders...) The Renishaw encoders are in the ASA too I believe with what looks like random outcome...

Archived