SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which crayford for my SCT

Hi Folks,

I’m getting a bit frustrated with the image shift on my C9.25 especially at high magnification so have decided to get a decent two speed Crayford focuser.

I have narrowed it down to these two at present;-

http://www.williamoptics.com/accessories/sct_ddg_feature.php

http://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader-steeltrack-focusers/baader-steeltrack-sct-focuser.html

Any thoughts on which one to go for,

I am looking to use the scope for imaging as well as visual so it needs to be able to cope with the weight of a camera and filter wheel etc.

Thanks

Ron

Definitely the Baader as it is a very good quality focuser. Super smooth and very nice to use and they now have the Baader Steeldrive drive for it.

The gimmicky DDG focuser is OK at best. I literally binned a DDG focuser once and replaced it with a Feather Touch.

You might also consider the TS Monorail Focuser.It's only £169.00 and while not as smooth as the Baader it can hold a surprising amount of weight.

http://modernastronomy.com/accessories.html

If budget wasn't a consideration then the Feather Touch would be my first choice but it is £££££.

John

I can recommend Baader, i have one, using it with C8 and C14. Very smooth and good quality. Steeldrive is expensive and i added Skywatcher 45£ autofocuser from FLO, now focusing is very easy.

added images of Baader and Skywatcher marriage.

Picture%2520015.jpg

and second one, drive is made with 60*3mm rubber O-ring from hydraulic store. Easy to take off if you want to focus manually

"Leg" is aluminium extra part from my wife's greenhouse

Picture%2520013.jpg

Must admit I was leaning towards the Baader,

I have the WO crayford on my Megrez 90 which is a nice scope but the focuser does struggle a bit when you hang a DSLR off it.

Unfortunately I have not had chance to try the Baader to compare them.

John, I did consider the Feather touch it does look fantastic but can't really justify the cost.

Your set-up looks great Ransu, I am just starting to have a go at planetary imaging so the idea of a motor focus is very appealing.

Looks like it's the Baader then and maybe get the Skywatcher autofocuser as well.

Cheers for the advice

Ron

Since webcams are light my Revelation is OK on my own SCT. On Yves 14 inch, though, there is a Baader Steeltrack doing pretty well with a big heavy camera, filterwheel and OAG. I'd go for the Baader without a doubt unless a windfall lead to a Feathertouch!

Olly

There's Moonlite as well. I have one with a stepper drive and it works very well. I use it with a HitecAstro mount hub pro so don't need the Moonlite mini controller - saves $195.

(sent using Tapatalk)

Archived