Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Will this reducer work with my scope?

Hi folks:)

I've just clocked a reducer on Astrobuyandsell (Antares 2" 0.7x FR2 Focal Reducer) and I'm wondering if it would work with my setup? I have a WO66 Apo with a canon camera plus the usual T-ring and T-adaptor, plus I have a 2" adaptor which connects my scope to my T-ring but I don't use this as yet because there isn't enough back focus. I'm hoping that I can use this reducer with the 2" adaptor which would both act as a reducer to make my optics faster (f/4.1) and reduce vignetting because of the 2" train as apoosed to the 1.25 T-ring adaptor I use at the moment, and allow me to achieve focus.

Does anyone know if this would work or if there are any problems with this idea I've not thought of?

I've ordered a 0.8 reducer/flattener from FLO a week ago but I've a strong feeling they are out of stock all over the place, I think they are like hens teeth at the moment:) I'm aware that the above adei will not address my field curvature, so I'm not sure if I could chain the SW flattener with the above idea also?

Any advice greatly appreciated:icon_salut:

Chris

I've been doing a bit of research into this 0.7 focal reducer and it is said that this reducer is not recommended for very fast scopes, my scope as its stands is f/5.9 so I'm now also wondering if my scope falls into the very fast category? With this reducer the f/ratio would be reduced to f/4.1 does anyone know any seroius issues with this configuration?

Regards,

Chris:)

I'm looking at an Antares 2" 0.7x reducer too. Sold NEW by RVO:

Antares 2 inch 0.7x Focal Reducer | Telescope Accessories | Rother Valley Optics

I get the impression it is equivalent to the Celestron 0.63x SCT reducer? I [too] sense it would be fine-ish for my (slow) MAKsutov, but might have additional [sCT] "field flattening" (whatever) features inappropriate to your (fast) refractor. But Hey, you never know... :D

Aside: My VIDEO cam (Watec) chip is much smaller and tolerant of such things? :headbang:

He he point taken:) we definately should Peonic, I've Emailed you the reason why I'm waiting to meet up, I'm tempted to PM Steve from FLO on SGL regarding my order but I don't know if this would be throwned upon, Hopefully I'll here one way or another in the morning:)

Hi Macavity, I agree I'm sure the 0.7 would be fine for your Mak as like you say its made for an SCT and the f/ratio's are similar between Maks and SCT's, if Peonic's 0.7 reducer doesn't work on my f/5.9 scope I'm sure he wouldn't mind offering it to you:)

Archived