Scope finally ordered , what else needed

After months of deliberation I have finally ordered my scope.

A tal 150p reflector from east of england binoculars at a very nice price of 339 inc delivery, flo did not have any in.

Not exactly the portable set up i was after but leaves a bit of budget left over for the future.

Im going to get a zoom eyepiece probably meade or baader

but what other things do i need , will i need a cheshire from the start and if so whats a good one and what about a barlow.

any help would be appreciated.

After months of deliberation I have finally ordered my scope.

A tal 150p reflector from east of england binoculars at a very nice price of 339 inc delivery, flo did not have any in.

Not exactly the portable set up i was after but leaves a bit of budget left over for the future.

Im going to get a zoom eyepiece probably meade or baader

but what other things do i need , will i need a cheshire from the start and if so whats a good one and what about a barlow.

any help would be appreciated.

Nice setup you've bought.

Doesn't the Tal come with a 2x barlow? I thought it included the former and a 25 + 7.5 Tal plossl.

Gives a good magnification range of 30x, 60x, 100x and 200x. I'd look at getting a 5mm eyepiece to fill the mag gap at 150x.

I reckon with the Tal being F5, a collimation tool, would be a handy and perhaps necessary piece of kit.

SGL member 'nicnac' also has a 150P, so he may be able to give you useful pointers with the scope.

Cheers,

Andy.

Im surprised to hear that a barlow was not included in the package, you should have, along with the eyepieces that Andy stated and a threaded crosshair reticle and a T thread adaptor too.

have you noticed that most adverts for it are wrong yet? 2" rack and pinion instead of thee 1.25", which is a boon.

A real fine telescope you have, as you will discover :D

Once collimated, it hold superbly, you may want to center spot the primary at some point, makes using a cheshire collimator easier.

Astrobabys web site can show you how to do this.

the stock EPs are good but you may want to upgrade, the celestron xcel lc work a treat in this telescope.

You are going to have some great views through that telescope and it will last a lifetime, its a tank of a scope, much more solid than the flimsy things you can buy elsewhere.

enjoy!

Along with the EP's suggested, a Telrad to help find the DSO's, then Download the Free Stellarium and the Telrad maps they show all the Messier objects, very handy, also in Stellarium run in windows mode and click Alt-O this brings up the Telrad Circles to make finding DSO's so much easier...

The advert says it comes with a barlow and two eyepieces but it also said that it come with a pillar mount and at the bottom of the advert it says mount not included. I checked with the store and it defo comes with the mount ,will have to see what else is included when it arrives.

I will be getting a zoom eyepiece either badder or Meade .

Any recommendations on the collimating tool.

Re the stelrad finder can this be put on the scope as well as the finder that comes with it.

I say this because according to the reviews the finder that comes on the tal is a pretty good one, and this would probably be used on the more easy to find objects like planets and some messier objects.

Along with the EP's suggested, a Telrad to help find the DSO's, then Download the Free Stellarium and the Telrad maps they show all the Messier objects, very handy, also in Stellarium run in windows mode and click Alt-O this brings up the Telrad Circles to make finding DSO's so much easier...

Hi Tinker, how do you run Stellarium in Windows mode? When I do Alt-O I get something called Occulars? :)

Edit: I found it, it's control-B. This puts a telrad circle on the sceen, anyway :hello2: I think I may have a later version of Stellarium.

Archived