Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Synta binoview + Hyperion Zoom 8-24mm possible !!

jarbi

Hie Everyone,

After weeks of waiting for my order I have received my Hyperions today :evil:. My intension was to use them as versatile oculars on the Synta binoviewer, and I must say my estimation was correct - it works like charm :p. I was a bit afraid that it would be too thick to look with two eyes, but the real life test was completely succesfull !

For the time beeing I could only observe terrestrial objects ( belgian summer :wink: ) :cool:. I have tried all focus positions ( 8-12-16-20-24 ), with and without the 1.6x barlow which was supplied with the binoviewer. The images are nicely coming together in all possible positions, and I can see the whole FOV with both eyes, even when it is in the 8mm position ( largest FOV ). It depends of course on the distance between your eyes, but for me there is even some space between the Hyperions when setting the good distance.

I will make of course star and planet tests also, but it doesn't look like clearing up here :lol:.

Please find here some foto's attached, made at this first test.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think binoviewing is where zoom eyepieces really shine as you only have to buy one set of eyepieces to cover a load of focal lengths. I may buy another hyperion zoom for my binoviewers if i get around to collimating them

That was my main reason also: now I have a set of 5 eyepieces with one purchase, and a nice quality !

One more addition: monday I will hopefully get my 0 -magnification 'focus shift 'adapter from Siebert Optics, so I can try it on my big bucket also :wink:. This will giive an extra inch inner focus travel to be able to use the binoviewer on my 10" Skywatcher.

Finally, last saturday my Hyperion+binoviewer had his first light on the Skywatcher 10" 8).

My test was somehow limited, because I still have the rack-and-pinion focuser, and I couldn't get to focus without a 2x Barlow.

First to Venus - it was already low, but still sharp enough views, even when I cranked it up to 8mm ! The two oculars are pretty equal, I didn't have to adjust the binoviewer's helical focuser in any position.

At about 23h I moved on to Jupiter. For comparison, I have put the 12mm orhoscopic's first into the binoviewer, than the Hyperions. As you can suspect, the Hyperions won - much more sharp images, even more contrast. The 8mm position was too high with the Barlow, 16-20mm gave the most enjoyable image. Moons were not nicely star-like, but that could be caused by the visibility. It was of course not the case when I inserted the Hyperion without bino ( and without barlow ).

As soon as it was dark enough, I started visiting some favorites.

M13, M92 - a real 3D experience ! The best was with 20-24mm. You feel just like sitting in the globular, or better to say falling into it !

M57 - brilliant view at 16mm position, it was incredibly shining out from the sky background.

Unfortunately some high clouds were rolling in around midnight, and I had to stop earlier than planned.

I am looking forward to receive my Moonlite focuser from FLO, it will be the low profile version so I will be able to use the bino without barlow on it.

The only issue what remains: I always have to watch out that the Hyperions are well tightened in the bino, they tend to fall out because of their weight :wink:

Archived