photography through skywatcher dob 8"

I'm looking to take photo's through my telescope and am looking for some sort of adapter.... I would be taking photos of the moon and video's (for stacking) of planets, etc. With both a digital camera and smartphone.

What would I need? Not sure where to look. Thanks.

Is the mount driven - i.e auto tracking or Goto? What sort of digital camera? You'll need something to connect it to the scope but what you need depends on the type of camera.

And as Hemihaggis says - webcam for the planets etc. The Philips SPC880/900 are very poular but not always available, there are others used that fit in the budget bracket. If you have a few hundred pounds then you could get a dedicated astro camera. Have a look in some of the imaging threads for advice. There is a useful one called Embarrassing Jupiter Webcam clinic (or something) that's full of great advice.

Hi, webcams are great for planets, but I would be a bit wary of paying the current "going rate" for the Philips SPC880/900 to be honest. As Chris says, there are others around that will do the job :headbang:

I see what you mean!! Look at this on fleabay :D

PHILIPS SPC880 (FLASHED TO SPC900) FOR ASTROPHOTOGRAPHY, TELESCOPE | eBay

I paid £20 for the bits and flashed it myself!!

Mind you SGL is partly responsible for driving the price up with heavy demand :)

The Xbox 360 camera is a really cheap and tried and tested camera to use to see if you like astrophotography with a webcam i bought mine from gamestation for £2.89 each. You just need an adapter from FLO for a philips spc900 cam to fit but try and get the low profile one as the normal one needs modding to achieve focus through a SW Dob with R & P focuser but dont know about a crayfords as i have a rack and pinion. Good luck in your quest and clear skies.

I suppose if you want a phillips you pay the price but not that silly amount. If it right you'll still get your money back if you need to sell. I had one already but bought another not flashed but with the adapter to fit in the scope for £46 with the intention of doing the LX mod, as I don't think I can be bothered I will probably put it on ebay for what I paid but it's now been flashed so someone will get a slightly better deal lol. I had a quickcam pro 3000 which I sold cuz it wasn't as good for some reason. Has anyone tried one of these new high definition webcams with a scope yet?

Archived