NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

sorry, quick collimation question.

when i use my scope i always check by taking slightly out of focus and the rings are concentric. does this mean its definately collimated or should i still check it or should i only check it if the rings are not concentric.

thanks for your help

ok, i realise it should be checked with a cheshire collimator but i haven't got one yet. i just wanted to know if concentric circles on out of focus star means correct collimation or not. but yeah i realise i need to get a cheshire. thanks for your help Karen.

Well yes, if you don't have a cheshire you can check collimation with a star test, if you can see concentric rings then good enough. For adjustment you will need at least a collimation cap though. :)

If the star test is good and you are getting good views through your scope I wouldn't worry. Its easy to get obsessive with collimation. I use a cheshire but the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. A star test is pretty conclusive

If the star test is good and you are getting good views through your scope I wouldn't worry. Its easy to get obsessive with collimation. I use a cheshire but the proof of the pudding is in the eating as they say. A star test is pretty conclusive

My wife will love you for getting that phrase correct, she gets very angry and snarls at the tv when people say 'the proof is in the pudding' :)

Archived