Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astronomy whilst it rains...

Grunthos

Got my new binocular out earlier to view the moon.

It was a bit cloudy but initially not too bad.

Got nicely settled in with tripod and comfy seat then it started to drizzle and then rain.

I could still observe the moon, my new binocular is deemed nitrogen filled and waterproof (as am I), so I thought "what the heck, I'm not blooming moving....". :)

What a novel experience (and my bin none the worse for it!).:)

Notch up one for advantage of bin vs. scope...:icon_scratch:

We had a look between clouds with a friend's Tal Newtonian, we then had a look through a pair of 15x70s.

What we hadn't realized was that with the bins the Moon appeared as a 3d rounded shape, with scopes you just get used to 2d flatlands.

Not sure about observing in the rain though :S Sounds a bit too much like hard work for me

I spent 5 years working in the Middle East in my youth.

Consequently I now quite like a bit of "weather".

As Billy Connolly once said "There's no such thing as bad weather, just the wrong clothing, so get yourself a sexy raincoat and live a little...". :)

(EDIT: If it wasn't for the binocular I probably wouldn't have gone out to observe last night. I would then have missed that massive fireball that waltzed by at 2140hrs.)

Archived