Taken the plunge at last!

Hi.

First post, new member, old head and body - get the picture?;)

After many years of infrequent occasional gazing at the sky, using a very primitive unbranded 60mm refractor, which has lived for most of that time in my attic, I have finally decided to embark uop Astronomy as a serious hobby.

I picked up a mint SkyWatcher EQ5 mount locally for £130 and yesterday took delivery of a 200pds tube from Harrisons. As a side note those guys are very helpful and extremely fast delivering. So for just under 430 beer tokens I have a 200 pds / EQ5 combination which sounds like a reasonable investment.

First shock, after my 60mm scope, this baby is a monster. What a nice piece of kit though. All I need now is some clear sky.

Can I ask for some quick guidance on a couple of issues?

Eyepieces: As a rough guide, and initially for lunar and planetary observation, what additional eyepiece(s) / filter(s) would members suggest to complement the stock eyepiece?

Tracking / Motors: In order to motorise the EQ5 for tracking, which additional kit would members suggest / recommend?

I would like the future ability to be able to control the tracking / skewing process through my laptop or net book rather than use quite expensive go-to kit.

Basic imaging: I realise that the EQ5 is at the top end of it's weight limit with the 200 pds, but, in the near future I would like to try some imaging using it. I have a Sony Alpha100 which has served me well over the last 8 years and I would like to try and use this. What would I need to connect this to the 200 and am I pushing my luck with regard to weight and balance with the combination I have?

That's all for now. I look forward to hearing from you all and would welcome any tips and advice, apart from keeping my posts shorter? This is my first one, wait until I get started!

Cheers guys.

Hi Algie- welcome on board to SGL and congratulations on your new scope I'm sure you'll have years of great experiences to come- can't give you any advice on the a/p or motorising it - I have the same scope as you but on a DOB mount.

as for lens - in hind sight now I think I would give serious consideration to the Badder Hyperion click zoom - it covers about 6 different focal lengths and when combined with a Barlow you may even double this amount - at @ £160 on FLO it would be a great start - the Baader Hyperions that I have bought are about £90 each so as I said in hindsight perhaps I should have gone this route to start.

But - you know your own budget and there are loads of friendly informative people on this site that will no doubt step in - perhaps the final shot from me would be to take your time and don't rush into buying any extra kit as yet until you've had a lot of opinion from others just to give yourself some options. Wish 'd have followed my own advice - the pull of spending in this hobby is great lol

good luck anyway and welcome on board.

Hi Algie,

Congrats on your new scope & mount, both very good choices ;)

With regard to EP's I would also advise waiting for a while and playing around with the new scope. The stock EP's should do you ok for a while, although the 10mm is not the best. I have had a lot of luck buying 2nd hand, also, I have a couple of TMB planetary EP's which I got new for £37 each from Skies The Limit, these are nice EP's.

Imaging: 200PDS will put you at the edge of the EQ5's limit for imaging, although it is still possible. You really just need a T-ring, which you can get from Amazon or elsewhere for about £12. This attaches to the camera, and then to the EP adapter on your scope, you can then start to take some basic pictures, although you will need motors of some sort for the mount, something like these First Light Optics - Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive for EQ5

I picked some up for £50, 2nd hand, so it's worth keeping a look out :)

So, have fun with your new 200PDS, and welcome to SGL ;)

Edit: Have a look at this thread I started about imaging with 200P http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/176808-200p-eq5-ap-will-i-get-away.html

You wont have to worry about having the wrong adapter mentioned in thread, as you have the newer version of the scope!

Check out the BST eyepieces from 'Sky's the Limit' They have a good reputation and at £41 each they are economical (8mm and 15mm very good!)

Welcome to SGL by the way!!

Archived