Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

8" dob SLR question

Astro-Nova

I ordered my 8" skyliner dob.....

one thing in the description baffled me and can not find a proper explanation.

It says 'Direct SLR Camera Connection'. What does that mean? I know normally you would have to buy accessories for your camera to be able to attach it to a telescope. Does this maybe mean that it has a connection, so there are certain things you do not have to buy?

I know it is not recommended to do astro photography with this dob but I just wondered what that connection is about. Even though it is not recommended, i think ill have a go at it anyway and improvise, I might surprise people lol

It might mean that the telescope has been designed so that the camera will come to a focus within the focusing range, this would mean that you would have to use an extension piece to reach focus with an eyepiece.

It means you can unscrew the 1.25" eyepiece holder from the focuser to reveal the T-thread which a DSLR can connect to with a T-ring. Never had any problems focusing with my 1000D at all this way.

Yep, you just need a T-ring optimised for whatever DSLR you've got. You will be able to take some prime focus shots of the moon with a DSLR but not much more really. You could possibly try planets with a webcam at low magnification with some practice but it would start getting tricky when adding barlow lenses.

Anything over a 1 second exposure is most likely going to start showing trails unless you get an EQ mount in the future.

I took this picture of the moon at prime focus with my old 300D when my 200P used to be on its dob platform. Beware! Once you click the shutter, there is a dramatic loss of funds in the bank account!

77742d1327076698-imaging-150-dob-200p-dob-single-shot.jpg

Archived