NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tonights the night - first proper bino look

OK so I have some binos that Dad came over with (8x40, something is way better than nothing), dug out my old planisphere and Sir Moore's guide to the night sky.

I'm going to hunt down something red that I can cover my torch in so I don't blind myself, and obviously going be warm.

Anything I have forgotten do you think? I'm trying to be Miss Prepared for my first night at trying to look at starry stuff with proper binos! Excited doesn't cover it!

I've seen on the boards that people write down what they end up finding and looking at, would you recommend that?

(sorry, very keen noob here)

enjoy... its a real treat. I would say just enjoy your first night and let the wonder wash over you ;) there will be plenty more nights for recording your sightings.

Remember your gloves and hat and maybe a reclining chair as your arms and neck wont be used to holding bins and will probably tire quickly... mine did.

Wow!! How different the sky looks with a set of binoculars! So glad I just got stuck in with the binos rather than waiting for a telescope, because I wouldnt have a clue! Its one thing to look at something shiny, something entirely different to know what it is your looking at and what is around it!

Firstly, the Moon is stunning! Even with the clouds rolling across it, she is just a beautiful gleaming piece of rock in the sky. Did go and grab a book that I got from the library today and tried to name some of the big things I can see.

So tonight I definitely spotted - Mare Anguis and Crisium, and then the 'middle seas of Serenitatis, tranquillitatis, fecunditatis and nectaris then nubium, and not to mention the big crater at the bottom although I couldnt see what that is called.

Beautiful and fun to just keep looking at it and go ooooooh! Got to work out what the less obvious names are in english as its been a long time since I did any latin.

But I could watch the moon for hours - I am very easily pleased!

Definitely had a nosey at Orion as I know him already, but had the chance to look at betelgeux and bellstrix a lot (especially for navigating around the stars around them). Love how clear the 'belt' is but couldnt see the sword or anything else in there.

I think I worked out some of the really bright stars of Taurus and further across some of Aries, but without the other stars to see it's a bit of a guess.

Definitely can navigate myself back to Procyon and the area of Canis Minor , and i think I possibly caught althena of gemini but no idea, perhaps that should have been castor and pollux now looking at the chart indoors lol.

Definitely found Arcturus, but not all of the stars around it. Its handy that that one is so bright on a cloudy night!

Also I think I could make out some of the stars of Draco, but I have noticed that I have no idea of the difference between Ursa Major and Minor so one min I think I know what I'm looking at the the next I have no idea lol.

Was amazing fun! Can't believe how the sky looks blank, and yet with the binos I can see so much more, especially with a clearer night. Just deeply fasinating! No wonder our ancestors were so mesmerised by them (without all that light pollution and no telescopes!).

Would like to get out earlier tomorrow and see some of the planets at sunset, but I did noticed Jupiter and Venus when I was running this evening which really made me smile.

I'll stop gushing at the mo, everything is so so beautiful.

Sounds like you had fun, Miranda! That "wow" factor still does it for me half a century down the track since I first put a binocular to my eyes and looked upwards! Andy (Black Night) mentioned my web site -- on it you will find ready-made observation recording sheets for binoculars:

http://binocularsky.com/BinObsLog.pdf

There's no "rule" about what you have to fill in; just fill in the bits you want to fill in -- the blank square is for a drawing, if you want to. The Index is for your own reference system so you can file them and easily find what you want by flickin through the top right corners.

Ohh thanks tetenerre! I've had a nosey at your website but I'm not very clever at finding all the useful stuff! The record sheet is really useful!

And its all so so simple with a pair of binoculars, who needs a fancy scope lol.

BlackKnight - I managed to get a very very blurry image of mars on my dslr a few nights ago, but realise where it was. Will pay more attention in future ;)

Oh, just checking, is it OK that I typed up a bit of a list of what I think I saw? I know its all very 'basic' for the rest of the gang here, just got a bit carried away when sharing my report on what I found. Will try to curtail it a bit in future! Sorry if I upset any rules by sharing so much.

Oh, just checking, is it OK that I typed up a bit of a list of what I think I saw? I know its all very 'basic' for the rest of the gang here, just got a bit carried away when sharing my report on what I found. Will try to curtail it a bit in future! Sorry if I upset any rules by sharing so much.

Don't worry about it, it's fine - enthusiasm's good! ;). We all like a good report ;)

Nobody minds at all, in fact it's positively encouraged!;)

Very friendly bunch on these forums.

Of course it's ok! We're here to share our enthusiasm. It's great to be reminded of what it feels like to put binoculars on the sky for the first time.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using Tapatalk

Perfectly ok to type up what you've done. I and many others do.

There is no right way or wrong way to do this, although gradually you may find that you want to keep notes in a particular format and start introducing sketches etc.

Here's an example of mine if that's any help... http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-reports/176445-19th-feb-2012-no-pain-no-gain-freezing-under-leo-virgo-sextans.html

The only additional information I include is; a rough guide to the quality of the sky, equipment I was using and the time I was out observing.

Most important.....enjoy the sky! :)

Oh thank you DKD for the link - I didnt even realise there was a reports section of the forum. This place is HUGE.

I had another amazing night looking at the stars.. and even the planets! Completely in awe at seeing Mars, Jupiter and Venus tonight (no mercury as it was so cloudy here to begin with tonight).

And that meteor! wow!!

And a whole load of other stuff I won't bore you with :)

Blooming love this stuff :)

It did help that I just happened to be looking at the Plough at the time :) You kinda notice a big red burning thing streaking past lol.

Question - how is M42 meant to look like through binos? Cant seem to find any pics whilst googling other than the really fancy ones.

Not as colourful as the photos.

Much depends on how good your sky is. Light pollution will wash out much of the nebula.

Most people see a grey fuzz. Younger eyes are more likely to pick up some hint of green in there too. M42 has stars within it, though to separate the brightest four (the Trapezium) you would need a telescope to magnify say 40 times.

Unfortunately, most deep sky objects have no colour. A few planetary nebulae have hints of blue and green.

I'm really not bothered about the lack of super hubble style images.. I'm just impressed I navigated myself to it and saw something when I got there!

I could only see 2 beautiful stars in a bluey haze, I will see if theres any green next time, or the other 2 stars!

Just amazing that I'm literally watching stars being born! Mind boggling.

I know it's not everyone's cup of tea and as you get more interested in fainter and fainter objects then it's just not practical, but I think there are lots of positives about starting with a pair of bins or a small scope and learning your way around the sky and understanding the spatial relationships between the constellations and the objects you can see, so keep it up.

James

James - I love it! I love that I can look at the sky and (now!) know the difference between the big and little dipper.

I like pointing to the stars in Draco and knowing which one used to be the 'north' star to the ancient egyptians 5000 years ago...

I probably will get a scope at some point, but right now I'm more than happy with my planisphere and my bins. (even Stellarium is abit too high tech for me at this point).

Archived