Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

As it would appear I'm not taking enough darks (with my currently mobile set up up there never seems time) I've decided I need a darks library.

Any tips for doing this. I presume the camera can be disconnected from the scope for these and temperature is important.

I set my camera to take 50 exposures of my most used exposure setting and at a given temperature. Save them on my hard drive at that time (ie 300s) and temperature and you're good to go.

When I used a DSLR it was a little more tricky as I could only take say 300s exposures at whatever temperature the camera was and then I grouped them according again to temperature and exposure length - Was much more hit and miss!! Don't forget there is a programme called kuso exif viewer that will give you your sensor temperature.

As above, temperature, ISO, exposure are the things that will need to be the same. If your fridge has a variable temperature that's the way to go.

I've seen lots of different opinions on how close the exif/ambient temperature needs to be, but if you can get a range every say 2 degrees you should be good.

I've also read about (but not tried) "dynamic darks" or some such term. You basically take one set at the longest exposure you are going to use. Certain software (not sure if DSS does) can then modify this dark to any exposure as the noise is linearly gained over time.

Bit of Googling might be required on that one, but it's the way I hope to tackle this problem at some point ...

Archived