Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Sensor size?

aGreyarea

Hi all,

I know there is a lot of info on this about but I struggled to make sense of it before.

What I would like to know is how sensor size affects the field of view in frame. I think I understand that smaller sensor, in the same scope, equals smaller/narrower FOV?

If it doesn't get to complicated, how does pixel size affect the frame?

Many thanks

The sensor size solely sets the FOV. The pixel size sets the resolution, ie the arcsec/pix.

Whilst it may be nice to have a very high resolution you will be limited by the atmosphere. I estimate that there would be little resolution increase for a sampling of less than 1"/pix

the following equations are useful

"/pix= 206.265*p(um)/f(mm) where p is the size of the pixel in microns and f is the focal length in mm

and FOV(')=3438*L(mm)/f(mm) where FOV(') is the FOV in one dimension in arcminutes, L is the sensor length in mm.

Small pixels gather less light but have higher resolution...but too much resolution is wasted.

its all a trade off...

Yep, here you go, The New CCD Astronomy Home Page

Very easy to use, you just pick a scope and camera, or add your own custom ones to the list, and it tells you what FOV you will be working with, along with giving a visual clue with a rectangle around a selection of pictures.

Crucially, for your question, you can edit the pixel size and see the differences if any.

Cheers

Tim

Archived