NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Good ol' M42

1981suede

Nobody bored of M42 yet I hope! I'm certainly not as this is my first attempt at her. Hope you like. This is 38 x 45s subs at iso 800 plus 1 x 15s sub for the core (that is all i had before the cloud came on in)! Dark's and bias's but still can't figure out flats for the life of me. I'd like to thank Quatermass for his invaluable tutorials on Youtube. Very handy.

21d8de48-3705-46a5-8419-05fe08d8c53e_resized.jpg

Cheers all. I am quite pleased with it. It amazes me how much detail a camera picks up that the eye can't. Such a stunning object.

I can never get enough of M42 either! Great shot! Looks amazing! A touch of trailing but focus is dead on! Over all very well done!

Bahtinov Mask's are a wondrous thing. I am a bit frustrated by the trails I must say. My HEQ5 should manage 45 seconds very easily with even a poor polar align (which it wasn't). Balancing was good too so it is somewhat annoying. The object is to the south and lowish on the horizon so that doesn't help.

wow thats lovely!

I've tried M42 a couple of times but I can't seem to focus it very well. Always blurry.

Thanks!

Have you tried a Bahtinov mask? I use it together with a free bit of software called Bahtinov Grabber which analyses the diffraction spikes and tells you if it is in focus or not. It helps that I have Nikon software that controls my D90 and sends pics to my PC.

Ig your polar alignment was pretty good then I was say maybe your tripod wasn't level. I've had a couple similar experiences and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Still don't know but now that I think back I'm pretty sure that was probably one of the main factors.

Ig your polar alignment was pretty good then I was say maybe your tripod wasn't level. I've had a couple similar experiences and couldn't figure out what was wrong. Still don't know but now that I think back I'm pretty sure that was probably one of the main factors.

I use a spirit bubble to check it is level so can't be that. Some subs have worse trails than others - I dispose of the worst ones. Trying to set up a cheap guiding solution which will hopefully deal with it.

Archived