Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

MX7c CCD - views?

Helen

I'm fed up with the weather and so looking at Astrobuysell.... Been saying I should get the best out of the watec before buying more kit, but.... just seen this http://www.astrobuysell.com/uk/propview.php?view=13470 and must admit to being tempted :wink:

Telescope House have been selling the MX range at really good prices over the past few months and have got the MX5c on sale at the moment at a starting price of £299.

So a few questions to you experts please. I see these cameras have been around for quite a while (6 years or so), how do they compare with current models? does the now reduced price reflect that? and even so, does that make them good value?

The MX7c is I assume RGB, whereas the MX5c is CYM - which of these is easiest to processs and which delivers best results (particularly if I wanted to try the sun with the PST)?

Is the MX7c worth the extra over the MX5c?

They both have the advantage of being able to fit on the fastar (unlike the Canon 300D)

Help! (Also happy to be told to keep at what I've got or for suggestions of other cameras in the same price bracket!!)

Thanks

Helen

Hi Helen

The MX7c has a bigger 'chip' than than does the MX5c, and as such, the benefit of having a lot more pixels.

Both cameras have a CMY Bayer Matrix, which can make colour conversion of the RAW image, a little more critical.

However, having owned an MX7c, and used it over four year period, I did achieve some very good results with it, as have a great many other imagers.

If the cost is not too much of an obstacle, then I would most certainly recommend the MX7c over the MX5c.

Compared the SXVF-H9C with its RGB Bayer matrix, that I now use, colour conversion with the MX7c (or MX5c), can be a bit of a 'learning curve', but with practice (and patience), very good results can be achieved.

Prior to the MX7c, I used a Mintron 12V1-EX, which is similar to your Watec 120N. However, moving up to the MX7c was a major improvement in all respects, and a good move.

Dave

I had an Mx7c too. i really really liked it. It was a great camera. I found the learning curve quite difficult initially and did struggle at times getting good colour. I think the colour aspect hinged more on the local light pollution. I have found life much easier since I shifted to a mono camera, (SXV H9). I did use the mx7c for monochrome imaging too. Worked quite well with a Ha filter.

Every single time, I would go for the Mx7c over the Mx5c.

As for cost - I paid pretty much £1k for mine. So £500 and under is not bad really!

As compared to newer cameras - well it is only usb1.1. Usb 2 is much faster and that makes a big difference. (If you do get one, make sure it is usb1.1 rather than a parallel) The time saved when framing and focusing is not to be sniffed at. You can do self guided with an add on - however, I would not go for this as there are better methods of guiding.

If you do consider getting one feel free to fire as many questions as you like this way.

Anthony

Just realised that I didn't answer all of your questions.

In terms of value for money, when I bought my MX7c and Star2000 interface, it cost me £1100, so that should put any current pricing into perspective.

As far as imaging the Sun goes, neither the 5c or 7c are really suitable for this purpose. As with Planetary imaging, imaging the Sun is all about trying to capture those brief moments when the 'seeing' steadies enough to allow detail to be be captured.

For this, a camera that captures and downloads multiple frames per second is the best option. In this respect, a web-cam capturing say 10fps, will do a far better job than an SX or similar camera.

From several hundred frames captured at 10fps, there should, with luck, be a few decent ones to 'stack'.

Pete Lawrence uses a Luminera SKYnix camera for his Solar imges. This camera has the ability to capture and download at 30fps.

So, the 'bottom line' is, that if its Solar imaging you want to do, then the MX5c or MX7c is not the camera you need.

Dave

There is a USB 1.1 mx7c on astro buy sell for £275 or something similar. This was my old Mx7c, ( I changed the chip to mono, then upgraded and sold it)

This an excellent price. Of course you would need to get filters and filter wheel to shoot colour images.

Anthony

Archived