Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

DMK21AU618 - Flickering

pilkinn

I've just got a DMK21AU618 camera and have been testing it out - not astronomically - just using normal light. Both in preview mode and when playing back a recording the image shows a very pronounced flicker. Going frame by frame it shows a 3 frame sequence going from bright to dim and then back again. Has anyone else seen this problem? is there some setting I have to use?

Thanks.

Neil.

It happens at all fps rates. If you increase the fps then the flickering is faster. Setting it to 3fps makes it look like you're freeze framing it. I've tried using FireCapture as well as the IC Capture software that came with the camera. I've tried re-installing the drivers and tried it on both my laptop and my desktop PC. Nothing seems to stop the flickering. I've actually got a DFK21AU618 (the colour version) camera at the moment as I got sent the wrong camera by mistake (it's going back tomorrow). I've tried this and there's no flickering. So I'm thinking it must be the camera. In which case this one will have to go back as well. I bet there's a clear night this weekend as well!

Yeah - The fact it "freeze-frames" at certain speeds suggests it MIGHT still have an external source. If you are testing it indoors, some mains-related noise could still be getting in somehow - Along the power lines, via earth loops or bad connector?

Aside: Being entirely 12V DC, in my observatory, I thought I was isolated from such things, until I finally traced my "barring" to the deep-cycle battery charger kicking in from time to time. I'd forgotten all about that... ;)

Thanks for the responses. I'm going to try changing things over the weekend and try it in daylight. It might just be the artificial lighting although I'm using normal bulbs as well as led lights.

(sent using Tapatalk)

• 1 month later...

Yes I did. It was, as others suggested, the lighting I was using. Even led lights it seems flicker. The affect I was seeing was greatly exaggerated by me having the gamma setting very low. Tried in daylight with the default 100 gamma and everything was ok.

Sent from my HTC Desire S using Tapatalk 2

Archived