Evening all.

At last, a chance to get out again on a beautiful clear evening. Headed out at about 9.30 for a cracking view of Jupiter and about half an hour staring at the moon. Stunning!

Anyways, I thought I'd give Saturn a crack tonight, but as I went out round midnightish the whole scope is covered in dew and I can't see a thing!

Is this a common problem and can anything be done to stop it?

Cheers in advance...

I must admit I found it rather dewey last night. I did have my dew sheild on and my spare eyepieces in my pockets. It was nice and clear but no sign of frost which is what I would have expected. Even my lawn where I set up my scope was wet. Normally I have this sensation of the grass crunching underfoot as an indication that it is getting frosty. Oh well. At least I saw Mars and Saturn last night. The last time I saw Saturn was last year and for the very first time. A friend lent me his 40 year od reflector and while scanning the sky from my back garden a very fuzzy Saturn hoved into view. What a brilliant moment that was. Very memorable.

I must admit I found it rather dewey last night. I did have my dew sheild on and my spare eyepieces in my pockets. It was nice and clear but no sign of frost which is what I would have expected. Even my lawn where I set up my scope was wet. Normally I have this sensation of the grass crunching underfoot as an indication that it is getting frosty. Oh well. At least I saw Mars and Saturn last night. The last time I saw Saturn was last year and for the very first time. A friend lent me his 40 year od reflector and while scanning the sky from my back garden a very fuzzy Saturn hoved into view. What a brilliant moment that was. Very memorable.

do you set up on the grass ... ???? ;)

Luke you took the words right out of my mouth, I made a due shield from a camping mat for my Celestron refractor and it work just fine. Mind you for my 10" Mead I have a 12v heater strap which keeps the corrector plate clear of due for hours even in our Scottish winters.

I did set up on the grass. I do have a patio, but that is right next to the house so in order to get a better view of more of the sky I need to set it up at the bottom of the garden and that means it is on the grass.

not had this problem yet as just got my scope , its a 200p dob , from the google images I've seen do I just cut up a camping mat and wrap it around the top end of of my scope ? how does that work for the rest of the scope ? off topic saw Saturn at 5.30 this morning for the first time ...awesome

Archived