NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Obsy - first bit to order

earth titan

Just got planning permission from SWMBO. It has taken a while but I now have the greenhouse cleared and a place to put it I'm ready to buy the first bits. Therefore advice please:

What diameter of plastic pipe to buy for the pier?

Drainage pipe of around 10" looks good as it allows space for the moulding of retaining bolts for the pier top (currently being plasma cut by a chap down the road). The pipe will be concrete filled and secured in place in the hole (about 18" deep) with a number of lengths of rebar banged into the ground through the middle of it and then a cast block around it to encase it in place with rebar laterally and vertically also. The block will be about 24" x 24" x 18"(deep).

Tom,

I used an 8" pipe...but actually in stainless steel that I got from an internet supplier..

I would suggest going down deeper than 18" though!

It tough digging but the deeper you can go the better...more concrete needed admitedly...but you will have a pottentialy more stable pier.

I dug my hole to 24 X 24 X 36 (but I did bust a rib in the process!)

Steve

I used 160mm plastic waste pipe, in a 750mm x 750mm x 750mm hole, filled with rebar and a 4:1 concrete mix to support my HEQ5 / 200P rig. If you can go larger diameter all the better, but would also suggest deeper as well if doing so.

Archived