Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help using Stellarium

Hi, Now I have had my scope for a week, I have installed Stellarium and I want to try operating my CGEM with it. I have followed some instructions and downloaded/installed some ASCOM drivers and another piece of interface software (name escapes me but was specific Celestron driver). I launch Stellarium, select the correct COM port etc and it connects to the mount OK. I can issue a command to GOTO a particular object and it moves both motors and goes somewhere (ps this is indoors currently and not aligned or anything so I have no idea if it is going to the correct relative position as if it were aligned). However, if I choose another target anywhere, it only slews a little bit, it doesnt matter which target i select or how far away it is, it only moves a little bit/the same distance each time so it is clearly not going to the correct target.

Is this because I need to 'star align' for example, the scope first as if i were setting it up for viewing or is there something I havent setup correctly.

Any help welcome.

PS i can use the same connection but running the Celestron Nexstar software and that controls the scope fine using the virtual hand controller, so the connection is good.

I believe you need to do a star alignment before you use the telescope via Stellarium Steve or at least that is how I have to set it via my 925. I would also make sure you are feeding it power that is smooth and stable so if your using a portable source make sure its charged up. Poor supply power can send a go to a bit like a Hal 9000, it just wants to do what it wants and that's that. :p

Power is not an issue I am running it from a high current mains supply, it moves round quite a way first time, then every GOTO afterwards it moves just a degree or so and then goes back where it came from slowly, no matter where I send it. Seems like an interface issue to me?

D I need any other software or should I uninstall the ascot drivers?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Is this because I need to 'star align' for example, the scope first as if i were setting it up for viewing or is there something I havent setup correctly.

You need to do this first before connecting to Stellarium i think. I remember having very unusual results before doing this. Afterwards it worked fine.

Archived