Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Attaching a camera with a T-ring

Hi all, an absolutely basic question. What is the bare minimal set of items required to attach a dslr to a scope? I mean, it's not only a t-ring, but also the T-adapter that is required, right? But then every time attaching the camera you wouldn't want to be exposing the sensor to dust etc, plus an IR/UV filter would be required anyway, right? Where does the filter go in the whole assembly? I mean - before considering the filter wheel :-)

What factors need to be considered when getting a T-ring and a T-adapter? There must be a reason why the Baader and TeleVue items are several times over the price of cheaper counterparts?

Does one need tube extension as well? What about a screw-on Barlow?

And last but not least, is there much point of the prime focus photography if one does not aim for DSO imaging? :-)

attaching the camera to the scope is just the same as attaching a lens to the dslr,same risk of dust ingress so thats not an issue.

most dslr,s already come with an ir/uv filter fitted.

as for the t,mounts and adaptors its just preference as they are all basically the same.

the rest is trial and error as focusing travel will be different for different scopes.i personally use a dslr for imaging and have encountered problems along the way.

Some focusers have a T thread at the outer edge; then you only need a T2 T thread adaptor to suit your camera body i.e. T2 to EOS etc.

The UV-IR blocking is done by the filter in your DSLR body, so no additonal filter is required.

For DSO at prime focus that's the minimum you need.

If you want a larger plate scale, then a x2 convertor or barlow could be placed before the camera body; but this would required longer exposures...

Archived