Polar aligning NEQ6 - help!

I know this question must have been asked hundreds of times on here but I'll ask it again. Is there a definative explanation on how to polar align an NEQ6 mount anywhere on the internet? I tried last night - followed the instructions that came with the mount and was surprised at the amount of drift after a couple of hours. Not sure what I did wrong really?? It was my first time of trying!

Jamie

Firstly you need to check the polarscope is calibrated. I did this using polaris. With the weight bar horizontal adjust the mount alt/az to put polaris under the cross in the polarscope. The rotate the RA through 180deg. and see where polaris is in respect to the cross. Use the allen key to adjust the reticule and brin polaris 1/2 way back to the cross. Repeat this process untill you get it as good as possible.

To polar align I then have my site details in synscan (Lat/long date and time)

This will then give you 2 values on the handset.

Viewing through the polarscope get the circle to the bottom and lock in place. Rotate the RA setting circle to 0.

Then release the RA clutch and rotate to the time of the first figure on the handset.

Then adjust the alt/az controls to put polaris in the centre of the circle.

This is perfectly fine alignment for visual observing and should need infrequent tweaks to keep the object in view.

In fact using this method I have managed 2 minute photraphic exposures without trailing.

I'm sure that you will all be shocked to hear that I was setting up wrong. My mistake was to follow the instructions that came with the mount! They're close, but not quite right. ;)

Thank you all for your help and advice - by taking in all your information I now understand what polar alignment actually is ;)

I calibrated the reticule successfully and had another go.

After three hours I checked the alignment and was surprised to see that I had Polaris orbiting my NCP correctly in the reticule (bet I can't do that again).

Prior to venturing outside I did try adjusting the marker for the date circle to a couple of known transits, but when I checked against other transits I found that the setting circles were out by a few degrees. Maybe I wasn't doing this accurately enough - I'll give it another try!

However, I manage to set up the location of Polaris from an Android App called 'PolarFinder'. I checked the data against the Jason Dale software and it gave exactly the same results. I'd say that both are excellent, but the app is more convenient for me - it can also be viewed in night mode. The app is free but has adverts (the ads aren't in night mode and are quite bright). It's worth paying the 67p for the 'Pro' version because this removes the adverts.

I'll have to try again soon (when the clouds move on) just to see if I fluked it last night :)

hi

I have just been through the same kind of experience as yourself. I found that using EQmod and it's polar align tool was a godsend. Makes accureate polar alignment very easy and is a superb package, although you will need to go down the laptop route. Something to perhaps try in the future.

I've seen people talk about EQmod on here but as I'm still new to astronomy its information overload at the minute!! I'll stick with the Synscan for now, but when I move onto imaging I'll probably go down the EQmod route.

Archived