Double Vision

Help.....

I have recently bought a pair of Meade 10x50 binos and whatever I do I seem to be seeing double whenever I try and view the night sky. I have tried refocusing them, I have tried with and without my glasses, but to no avail.

If I look through one eyepiece at a time all seem to be in focus and fine, but both together, no chance.

Am I doing something really stupid here?

i had a problem just like that with my pentax bins, i located the collimation screws and brought the two images into one.like demonperformer states, they most probably are hidden ,under the coatings, or casing.

Yes, have a look here.

O B E R W E R K - High Performance Optics for Earth & Sky

It's from a different company but the prinicples are the same. I recommend that you do it at night, starteing with the moon, then finishing off with a bright star. During the daytime there is sufficient other onformation that the brain fools the eyes into thinking they are seeing the same image, and make it seem to merge. However, if they're not proparly collimated you'll get eyestrain. Using a star there is no info other than the light source, so you tend to get closer to spot on. Oh, and stick the bins on a tripod first - makes it much, much easier.

Yes, have a look here.

O B E R W E R K - High Performance Optics for Earth & Sky

It's from a different company but the prinicples are the same. I recommend that you do it at night, starteing with the moon, then finishing off with a bright star. During the daytime there is sufficient other onformation that the brain fools the eyes into thinking they are seeing the same image, and make it seem to merge. However, if they're not proparly collimated you'll get eyestrain. Using a star there is no info other than the light source, so you tend to get closer to spot on. Oh, and stick the bins on a tripod first - makes it much, much easier.

Thank you all for your help. I will give it a go so wish me luck.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived