First Scope -- Please Review My purchase

Hi Guys, wonder if someone can give some feedback on the fist scope im planning on buying.

I have a very mixed bag of desires and figure I need to get to where I want to be in a few steps and wont get all i want first time round... but in summary, I want terrestrial now and also some capability for astro -- longer term would also like to try some astrophotography. I understand all these requirements dont play well together :D

For my first scope I was thinking of getting the following kit:

Celestron C5

First Light Optics - Celestron C5 Spotter Spotting Scope

Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

First Light Optics - Baader Hyperion Zoom Eyepiece

Skywatcher AZ4

First Light Optics - Skywatcher AZ4 Alt-Az Mount with Steel Tripod

I think this would give me good terrestrial, and OK astro. I could reuse the eye pieces I hope later with a better scope. But would the zoom work ok with this scope?

I had looked at the nexstar scopes but apparently they cannot be moved manually across the horizon, only via the motor, which wouldnt be great for terrestrial.

I really like the Celestron CPC9.25 and can afford it, and understand it can be used for terrestrial, but I have a feeling I will want a bigger aperture for my second scope, perhaps the big flextube dobs from skywatcher.

So, im reduced to buying something now without goto or eq really because i want to be able to do terrestrial...

However, im very much torn...

Please help :(

hmm i think you need to do some more research ... any scope for astro use will have an inverted/left to right image ,

the skywatcher 200p on an eq mount is a great starter package , you would need an image rectifier for terrestrial use .

a c5 scope and an alt az are not much use for AP .

My understanding is that an eq mount is hopeless for terrestrial use, hence the alt-az.

I think I could reuse the c5 on an EQ mount later for AP, no?

Basically I want kit to start with that I can reuse later, the mount/tripod seems to be most problematic as I cannot upgrade to goto or EQ...

hi adiep a c5 scope is a "slow" scope being f 10 , this makes it much more difficult to use for AP , you would need to buy focal reducers ect to use it for AP . also spotting scopes have a extra layer of glass in them to invert the image for terrestrial use , this puts another layer of glass in the light path ,degrading the image even more.

you do not need a serious tripod for terrestrial use a camera mout or similar ..

you do need a serious mount for AP, motorised eq5 at least

Why not go for a APO (or semi-APO) refractor? It would be convenient to use for terrestrial use and later on, combined with a decent mount, it would make a good starting point for AP.

For a similar price to the C5 - you could get a WO ZS70 or a SW Equinox 66.

Put one on an AZ mount for now and save up for mount for AP later.

Andrew

Alternatively, you could opt for an ED80, Altair Astro or Ikharus do one which is a very nice, competetively priced scope. Cheapo alt mount from ebay, and you're up and running, I've noticed loads for less than 50 quid in the last few weeks. Then as said earlier, you can upgrade to an EQ later.

Not only that, as you progress and get bigger scopes, the ED will double up as a very nice spotting/guiding scope on a larger tube.

Why not go for a APO (or semi-APO) refractor? It would be convenient to use for terrestrial use and later on, combined with a decent mount, it would make a good starting point for AP.

For a similar price to the C5 - you could get a WO ZS70 or a SW Equinox 66.

Put one on an AZ mount for now and save up for mount for AP later.

Andrew

But they are half the aperture of the c5... why would they be better than the c5 in anyway? Surely aperture trumps?

But they are half the aperture of the c5... why would they be better than the c5 in anyway? Surely aperture trumps?

For visual, astronomical use: yes, yes and yes again. Aperture lets you see dimmer things and improves your resolution. (12" Dob?)

For terrestrial? I'd suggest not. I'm not sure what you wish to view, but most objects are bright enough. Portability and useability start to become much more important.

For AP? NO. I don't image (yet) but when I start I will follow L'Ecole d'Olly and start with something with a short FL. You can always take longer exposures to compensate. Guiding with loger FLs requires a VERY good mount.

I guess the problem is the usual one. I'm afraid you'll have to decide what you want the scope to do.

Andrew

An 80mm ED is probably all you'd need for terrestrial viewing as seeing conditions limit the magnification to around 50X on the average and would be great for astro photography in due course. A 45 degree erecting diagonal works well for terrestrial use but not recommended for best astro use. A C5 would give a brighter image on a dull day but would not be as ideal as the 80mm ED for photography.

From what I've seen and read all Apo's make very good AP scopes (and general astro viewing) and with the image erector/diagonal it could be used for terrestrial due to being closed units (bits wont fall in the tube). And from experience anything like a newtonian/reflector/dob would be great for astro but suck for terrestrial if for no other reason than they dont take knocks well, need constant adjustment/collimating and they're bulkyness wont stand up to any kind of nature rambling activity.

If you want to look at stars and planets while waiting to image them a reflector with short fl will work, but for all-round terrestrial with a goal of AP then paying a bit more for a decent APO and later getting the astro mount could be well worth it.

This is strictly in my opinion and going by my use of reflectors.

And good luck in any case,

Jay

you have a 127 Mak, which is similar to the C5 and a 12" dob. I imagine something similar might work for me... What logic did you use to end up with such a setup?

The Mak was my first scope. We lived in a maisonette at the time and as such I needed something which would not be too difficult to carry up and down a narrow staircase. I also live very close to Heathrow; we have LOTS of light pollution! The Mak is great on planets and double stars (which we can see) but not so good on wider DSOs (which we can't see anyway).

The 12" Dob came up for sale on this site at a great price and I couldn't resist. I don't get to use it as much as I like but it's brilliant when I do. It's next proper outing will be SGL7. I don't feel that it is being wasted though; we wont live in London for ever.

Would I buy the same again? Sometimes I think that I should have bought one of the smaller 6" dobs instead of the Mak. Or maybe a small APO on an AZ.

If you want great visual astronmoy (and you don't have stairs) get a dob. Maks and SCTs are great on planets and are small and compact but they take longer to cool and can suffer from a very narrow field of view. A GOOD refractor will also be excellent on planets but will be able to give a wider field of view but at the cost of aperture (and perhaps £££).

For imaging: I will buy a powered mount later this year and will do more planetary imaging with the Mak (first with my webcam, then with a DMK21 or similar). If I was to go for deep sky then a good, short refractor would be an essential in my books.

Andrew

Archived