Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PIPP AS!2 Comparison

Clayton

This is not really a fair comparison as the processing was not identical.

But it shows a lot of promise IMO

The first image is PIPP sorted then into Reggie for stacking, wavelets etc.

The second is AS!2 sorted and stacked, then into Reggie for wavelets etc.

I will try some more comparisons when I get some more time :D

post-16237-133877737338_thumb.jpg

post-16237-13387773734_thumb.jpg

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Rob,

I am rapidly becoming a huge fan of AS!2, I have some captures that it handles well but Reg6 creates loads crazy paving artefacts. I am currently adding the functionality to PIPP to generate a .ser file so that it can still be used with AS!2.

I notice that both versions of your image have what looks to be a strong bayer pattern showing through. I would be interested in knowing if equalising the histogram of all the colour channels in PIPP (by using the option -hs=200) helped with this. It would be nice to get to the bottom of this artefact.

Cheers,

Chris

Maybe sorting in PIPP and stacking in as!2 would be the killer combination? :D As!2 is so quick.

I agree with both sentiments.

I'm attempting a PIPP/AS!2 comparison with results from equipment at the other end of the scale to yours and the other correspondents in this thread ie small objective, no motor control, simple spc880nc unmodified, [am I minimalist or frugal??].

I'll let you know my results, if any.

regards

Tony

After a bit of stuffing around, here is the latest result :p

I have great difficulty seeing the lines/grid that you are referring to, so I am relying on you (and Asi) to let me know if things are better or worse :)

This is basically the same processing routine, except this time I was forced to use CG in R6 otherwise the joins were out of control??

No problems like this before:confused::)

post-16237-133877738184_thumb.jpg

Here's another one PIPP>AS!2(MPA)>R6 ;)

Note:rolleyes: The Blue Haze is apparently real :) Although the exact mechanism is not known :p

As some may know I embarrassed myself over the weekend by criticizing

Darryls fantastic shots for what I took to be a bit too much Blue :D

Until he pointed out to me the error of my ways :o:o Via "Google"ing "Martian Blue Haze" :) I think he's almost forgiven me :) :)

post-16237-133877738192_thumb.jpg

I would like to know what others think, but to my eyes that has completely removed the strong grid pattern that the first images had. That is very interesting.

Now that that pattern has gone I think you can do a bit more with wavelets/sharpening without it showing up and correct the colours back to the nice red you had originally.

I am interested to know if others see this grid pattern in the first images or is it just me and my monitor!

Cheers,

Chris

Rob

Please could you explain how you went from pipp to as!2.

Unless I'm mistaken

pipp yields output files as *.bmp

as!2 accepts files of the form *.avi OR *.ser

regards

Tony

Not really an answer to your question, but the new PIPP v1.6 does output a *.ser file if required. The downside is this format does not support colour so not very useful for those with colour cameras. The writing of *.avi files is still in development.

Actually the *.ser file format could be used if the -rgbsplit option is used to split the colour frames into R, G and B frames. Though each channel would have to be stacked individually and then recombined to produce a colour image. I am not sure many people will want to do that.

Chris

but the new PIPP v1.6 does output a *.ser file if required.

Thanks Chris, sorry about the thread jumping

what option is used to do this?

I looked at the pipp manual v0.7 but did not see anything other than mention of *.bmp output.

Is it only with the -rgbsplit option that a *.ser output is made/available

regards

Tony

I like thread jumping, makes what we are talking about more cryptic for others! The version of PIPP (v1.6) with support for writing .ser files was only uploaded to the site yesterday afternoon. The command line option is -ser and it is only available with colour images if the -rgbsplit option is used.

Cheers,

Chris

PIPP>AS!2 first attempt

I used an avi of Mars taken a few days ago with a f16, fl1220 no barlow system running a (unmodified) spc880nc webcam configured under SharpCap as a TouCam Pro, camera,video.

Outcome:- almost 3000 frames mostly showing a very small image reddish disc

With this avi I used the -ser option in pipp and loaded the resultant file into AS!2.

In AS!2 I ticked the planet and edge boxes, and then analyze.

After that, there was no visible image in the frame box excepting a central white cross - even when I moved the sliders back and forth.

So I pressed stack.

The result was a mono colour disc.

For information, when I processed this same avi directly into AS!2 I had to tick the planet, dynamic and gradient boxes for the analyse to function. I then had a visible colour image in the frame box around which I could move the sliders

Not certain if this ramble will be of interest.

regards

Tony

Hi Tony,

AS!2 supports Drag and Drop of BMPs :p

I wasn't aware until very recently but it worked for me with no problems :) :)

Thanks Rob for your response,

I'm running v2.0.0.45 of AS!2 and the option for drag & dropping *.bmp files seems well hidden.

Passing the mouse over the 'OPEN' control reveals a message saying: "You can also drag & drop files or folders with .FIT image into this form"

BUT nothing about *.bmp unless I'm mistaken.

HOWEVER, I opened the pipp file, used ctrl A to block all files, and copied them.

Then opening AS!2 (on top of the pipp file) I dragged my mouse over the AS!2's 'OPEN' control and right (??) clicked the mouse.

AS!2 then accepted and allowed processing of the pipp *.bmp files.

Strange and a pity that this ability is not more obvious.

regards

Tony

Archived