Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

PIPP AS!2 Comparison

Clayton

Hi Tony,

I guess as long as you got it to work it's a bonus :p

I only found out myself because it was mentioned in another forum

I normally just Ctrl A the BMPs in explorer and simply drag them into the AS!2 window, but I guess it's what you get used to :)

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been going through my last avi's to reprocess them with AS!2 before waveletting in reg6. After bringing down comp processing time by using castrator first, I stumbled upon PIPP 1.7 and thought this to be a good idea.

While re-working my data, I noticed that PIPP -quality has made a strange selection amongst the single bmp order. I had a 10 min (or so) avi from saturn, but it was a bit windy. So I had quite a few single "subs" that were totally out of focus, since Saturn was moving so much on the screen. Funnily enough PIPP thought some of these pics to be among the better quality ones? Would this be a mistake in the calculation routine??? I'm quite surprised. I guess, it doesn't matter so much, as I'm putting this single shots into AS!2 for processing as well, but I'm wondering whether I've just now starting using more and more processing programs without actually gaining any benefit from it.

To use AS!2 before reg6 wavelets has definitely worked out better than reg6 alone. The castrator has definitely brought down processing time. But what has PIPP done I'm not so sure.

Do you guys have any experience with that?

I've been going through my last avi's to reprocess them with AS!2 before waveletting in reg6. After bringing down comp processing time by using castrator first, I stumbled upon PIPP 1.7 and thought this to be a good idea.

While re-working my data, I noticed that PIPP -quality has made a strange selection amongst the single bmp order. I had a 10 min (or so) avi from saturn, but it was a bit windy. So I had quite a few single "subs" that were totally out of focus, since Saturn was moving so much on the screen. Funnily enough PIPP thought some of these pics to be among the better quality ones? Would this be a mistake in the calculation routine??? I'm quite surprised. I guess, it doesn't matter so much, as I'm putting this single shots into AS!2 for processing as well, but I'm wondering whether I've just now starting using more and more processing programs without actually gaining any benefit from it.

To use AS!2 before reg6 wavelets has definitely worked out better than reg6 alone. The castrator has definitely brought down processing time. But what has PIPP done I'm not so sure.

Do you guys have any experience with that?

Hi Russe,

Picking out very blurred frames should definitely not be happening, but I can see a situation when it could occur with the algorithms in the later released versions of PIPP. Could you send me or post some example frames in bitmap format so that I can check the v2.0 does not suffer from the same problem when it is released? A few good frames and a few of the blurred ones that made it through would be ideal.

As an aside I have found that Saturn really challenges PIPP's quality algorithm because there is not much detail on the main disc for the local contrast algorithm to get a good quality estimation value from. I have found the algorithm works well for Jupiter and Mars but less so with Saturn, but it should still be able to reject the blurred frames to ease AS!2's task. At some point I shall add a new algorithm that works better for Saturn, but that will be some way off.

Cheers,

Chris

Mhm,

cant properly reproduce it.

I'll keep looking - here an example but of what I found. Amongst these bmp's (with above mentioned pipp parameters) I found 0884 to be out of place.

But I had better examples, where Saturn was properly all over the place (but always only one pic amongst several good ones for their quality grade.

0880.bmp

0871.bmp

0872.bmp

0873.bmp

0874.bmp

0875.bmp

0876.bmp

0877.bmp

0878.bmp

0879.bmp

0889.bmp

0880.bmp

0881.bmp

0882.bmp

0883.bmp

0884.bmp

0885.bmp

0886.bmp

0887.bmp

0888.bmp

0894.bmp

0890.bmp

0891.bmp

0892.bmp

0893.bmp

Great. Thanks.

Any comments so far?

The latest PIPP code correctly handled the first set you posted, the second set looks more interesting. Do you have the log file for the 2nd set?

Yes, the log file for the second set please.

The problem with the second batch seems to be that it has incorrectly accepted some frames that were partially off frame. If this ever happens then the sharp edge has a bad habit or scoring highly when the local contrast is calculated and these get promoted to the top of the quality pile. Knowing the exact options you used should help me figure out where the problem lies.

Russe,

Would I be correct in saying that you first running you video through Castrator first and then getting PIPP to sort them by quality? It looks to me that the issue is that Castrator has centred some frames which only have some of the planet on the frame, these frames really need to be discarded.

For PIPP to function as designed it really needs to work on the original capture video, where it can do all of the frame rejection, centring, cropping and quality selection itself. If you like I can give you a copy of the current development version of PIPP which is a lot easier to use because it is now GUI based rather than command line based and there is some help with the options.

Cheers,

Chris

Funny you should mention about all the frames being rejected, I have just been working on how to handle the situation when all the frames have been rejected with the GUI version. At the end of the day this happens because either the planet is either too small or it is too dim. However, it needs to be obvious to the user what has gone wrong or the program is not doing its job properly.

Archived