NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

skywatcher 127 mak

Evening all, I have been looking skyward since november when I blagged a loan of a friends celestron 76 newt. Since that time I have bought and sold my way through a few scopes and for a while was very happy with a skywatcher 130 newt until I got what I believe is called aperture fever. I now want and 200p skywatcher. The thing is, I got myself a skywatcher skymax 127 mak and having used it for the first time tonight I am most impressed. I didnt think it would be much different to my 130 but its sooo much more revealing on planetary detail and also on size when using the same eye pieces. It was also a lot steadier when the wind blew and I know a lot of that is down to the mount (eq3 I believe) but also the shorter tube must help.

My question now is will a 200p offer me better detail again or any improvement on size? I know from reading posts on here that basicly 300x magnification is the same size across the board (roughly). Am I better just sticking with the mak? Also is it possible to connect my dslr directly to the mak and use that as my lens?

Any help or advice would as always be much appreciated.

Cheers, Boab.

I have a 127 as well with excellant results on planets and other bright objects. I also have a Orion Optics SPX 250 which does give that extra resolution and illumination and increased FOV. You would notice the difference in a 200 mm but dont forget a decent mount is essential.

Thanks for reply Nbastro. I think when i get my 200 (or now thinking 250 and yes, it is your fault :D) it will probably be a package deal with mount included. Unless of course I can continue to source bargains online seperatley but the mounts are so expensive on their own. 2nd hand may be my only option. I think I shall keep the mak and try for newt as well. Cant have too many scopes now, can we?

On the subject of using your SLR...I've used mine with the 127 with good results and better results on DSO's with my SPX250.

Ive used various connection options, direct connection, connection with an adaptor that usedes an eyepiece for projection and a barlow connection to the camera.

It takes a bit of playing around with the 127 to get used to the focal length when using adaptors. Experiment in the daytime with the SLR to get a feel for the types of settings that need to be done. Always remember to imagine where the focal point is when attaching cameras which should give you an idea of whats gone wrong when focus cannot be achieved.

The 127 Mak and 200P are very different instruments and not straightforward to compare. The 200P should be much better at DSO viewing purely because of the increased aperture, but it's a bit of an animal to put on an EQ mount and with the kind of magnification/field of view you'd be using to view, say, Saturn, you might find a dob mount is difficult to control. If you want to do imaging you've also got the tracking problem to consider with the 200P. There's no way an EQ3-2 is going to cope with that scope.

In an ideal world I'd say the best compromise is to have both (Oh! Look at me! I do! :D, but I think you might have to try the 200P out for yourself to see how you get one with it before making a decision.

One of the reasons I really like my 127 Mak (and my ST120, come to that) is that given a patch clear sky I can be out and at the eyepiece in a couple of minutes including the time taken for polar alignment if required. I'd be very reluctant to give that up.

James

Thanks again for great advice. I already have resigned myself to having to take a fair amount of time and experimenting with the camera. I am going to try direct mount 1st as soon as I have money to get an adapter. I think I only need a t-ring adapter as that conects to the scope(?). I am also assuming full manual mode will be needed to be used on the camera. I have used this before but some more practice will be needed. I just have to stop running and learn how to walk again. I am currently playing with a 500mm lens and getting some ok results but only on short exposures. Having no tracking motors on my current mount as yet and still not understanding the whole allignment thing is not helping matters. But with all good things coming to those who wait I'm sure I will suss it out in due time.

Thanks for reply james, it is exactly people like yourself who have both that I am glad to hear from. I know about the mounts and wont bother to try a 200 with anything less than eq5. I am on a realy budget so I can only wait and see what becomes available at the lower end of the 2nd hand market. I am quite happy to take broken but fixable gear as well. I had a clock drive for my 130 but when I piggy backed my camera and lens it wasnt filling me with confidence on the stability front so I promptly removed them again. I am still beat by allingment as well. I can do the polaris bit but then I get confused as I want to look at beetlegeuse and have to move everything. I'm sure I will get my eureka moment soon though when it shall all become clear.

I've been converted to cassegrain type telescopes after bvuying a Vixen VMC110l. I now want a big mak... (but I've also got a bit of a thing for a Ritchey-C!! Wish I had £500 for the GSO 6" one) Love being able to sit down and view nice images of the planets in a short, compact, go anywhere scope!

I think I only need a t-ring adapter as that conects to the scope(?)

There are two parts - a T-ring, which attaches to the camera, and a T-adaptor, which screws into the T-ring and has a 1.25" nosepiece. "T" stands for Tamron, as they issued a series of camera lenses which use this system.

Archived