Just got my 150 Dob is there any mods

Hi every one thanks for the advice on getting a scope i am the proud owner of SW 150p dob :D and was just wondering if there was any cheap mods i can do to it to make life easier for my scope like making the Azimuth movement a bit more smooth as found it a bit stiff. My wife came in after i put it together and said "blumming size of that thing were you going to put it":eek:

I just flocked my dob - it's a great move for higher contrast viewing and eliminating stray light, and dead cheap to do. You can also get a Wixey magnetic angle guage and an Azimuth setting circle for an accurate pointing system (get coords from Stellarium or Circ du Ciel).

You can add levelling feet, a Telrad finder, right angled finder, low power wide angle eyepiece, low profile focuser, dual speed focuser, dew shield, rear fan, magnetic counterwieghts, levelling feet, secondary dew heater, push to knobs, etc ...... :D

Cheers for the replies that some serious food for thought. Stevet ive read the true cost post and all i can say is :D. All the mods is something to research and ill have to queue them up first is a dew shield camping mat style, then i want to make the azimuth motion smoother. Flocking the OTA scares the C A R P out of me as it requires dismatling the OTA.

Cheers for the replies that some serious food for thought. Stevet ive read the true cost post and all i can say is :D. All the mods is something to research and ill have to queue them up first is a dew shield camping mat style, then i want to make the azimuth motion smoother. Flocking the OTA scares the C A R P out of me as it requires dismatling the OTA.

I must admit I've pit off Flocking and even Colimating for the same reason but the day is fast approaching :(

I've removed the central teflon washer and stacked several (8 I think) until the action feels right and doesn't rock.

Whilst at it I also used car wax to polish the outer edge of the upper plate where the 3 pads slide.

Now ive got to source some steel to make the blocks does one have to be nylon and one steel or can both be steel. How the hell do you fit the lazy susan bearing as they screw to both surfaces and theres only a small gap or do you leave it free with the ground board and rocker bottom resting on it just using the weight of the scope.

Archived