Hi, new to astronomy and need bit of help please

Hi all i got my first telescope yesterday an 8inch dob, i have got a 25mm and a 10mm eypieces with the scope,ive been reading some posts where people use a barlow lense 2x with an eyepiece? im bit confused maybe i misread it but does the barlow lense fit in the scope then you put the eyepiece into the barlow lense?sorry forthe daft question but i was wondering if i needed one.i only had scope a day i realise theres a lot to learn and i getting some books from libary tomo. ive noticed some other photos taken of jupiter using a 8inch dob and they seem have more detail when i look through mine its just a white spot, any help be greatly appreciated,can anyone recommend the best eyepiece is should use for viewing planets?

thanks thought so,i best get myself a book before i ask more stupid questions :-)

No such thing as a stupid question if you do not know the answer.

You will not get as good a view through the eyepiece as an actual good quality photograph. These photographs are the result of many individual stacked images along with some photo editing.

You will get an improved view however by buying one or two better quality eyepieces than the standard issued ones. The 25mm is not too bad but the 10mm is not a good thing really.

I see that you are in Scunthorpe. If you can get to the next Northlincsastro meet (a friendly bunch) with your scope and clear skies pending you will be able to try out various eyepieces at various prices..

:D

Also you will find that images of planets have much more detail than what you can observe visually. A camera can actually see more than the eye so don't expect the same standard. Having said that, with an 8" Dob you should be able to see good detail on Jupiter with your eyepieces. By the way, if you look at my avatar pic of Jupiter that was taken with a webcam on a 5" newt.

thanks for all your replys much appreciated,i will look into northlincsastro meet,i didnt know they had meetings,sounds interesting and be a great help,ive been looking on utube at some videos describing barlow lenses, does everyone use barlow lenses,naturaly i thought the higher the piece the better magnification it would be and the better the view because your closer to the planets.but it the video they was saying you be better witha 3 and not a 5x,so it sounds like the higher magnification is not always best?

You put the barlow in where the eyepiece goes then insert the eyepiece in to the barlow. Then play with the focus again to get it clear.

Jupiter is fairly bright if the image is small then the brightness simply floods everything. So a blob, small white blob.

You may, if not already tried, get better results with the 10mm alone, the barlow and the 25 could be reasonable. Unfortunately the 10mm and the barlow tend to result in a poor image. Neither are great so the result is much less then great.

Be careful of imaging via a Dob, they are really visual instruments, you may not obtain good results often. Worth a try anyway.

For planet viewing you need some magnification, I will sugest the now common BST Explorers/Starguiders from Sky's the Limit, £41.

Without knowing the scope and what you want I would say the lower 3:- 5mm 8mm 12mm. If you try the 8mm first it will give a bit more magnification then the 10mm you have and the views should be much clearer. If that is sufficent magnification then after that the 12mm, good all round size. If the 8mm works well and you want more magnification then the 5mm. Get yourself one a month.

I don't tend to favour barlows, so cannot really say much, other people like the Tal 2x barlow again as the performance is good for the cost. That eternal balance.

Spend more time at the EP, the detail makes itself seen if you observe for longer, moments of good seeing give you the detail. Although saying that Mars doesn't like me, despite hours at the EP I've still failed to see any features.:D:mad:

Thanks capricorn, i buy some smaller lenses tomo like say one a month,mrs notice that :-) theres so much stuff to buy and i beginning to realise it can be costly.but it will come in time.at moment im gobsmacked at the craters on the moon i can see naturally everyone wants more to see, ive so much to learn,thankgod i came across this great site.many thanks

Someone posted this the other day.

As the supplied eyepieces are generally boarderline you have to realise that it soon becomes essential to get better.

Think CN asked this and in general I recall 4 eyepieces was about the minimum, could get by with 3, if they were the right 3.

The urge for more magnification is the problem. You could probably be fine with the 25mm 12mm and 8mm BST/Skyguider.

You will need a collimator, and then back to the barlow or not.

If you decided on the 3 eyepiece and the collimator that is around £160. You should be fine with those for most times. But that wasn't explained when you got the scope.

Archived