Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Condensation

Still not ordered scope but the day is getting closer! I've read about letting scopes cool down to outside temp if stored inside but what about packing up at the end. Do I just bring it indoors and risk condensation or is it like a diver returning from the deep, having to do it in stages? Sorry I couldn't think of a more appropriate analogy. If I do get condensation in the scope is this a problem and if so how do I avoid?

Thanks

Garth

Hi, you need to cool down reflectors & maks for at least an hour before using really. Once finished you can bring them in and leave the caps off for a while and let them dry. I use dew shields on mine to keep the dew to a minimum whilst outside, these can be home made; I made mine from a £6 camping mat. Their length should be roughly 1.5 - 2 x the diameter of the primary mirror. If there is a lot of condensation some people use hair driers on them, but I have never had to do it. Hope that helps :D CW

Most people recommend leaving the caps off so it'l dry, but if there is no condensation on there before bringing it in, then i put the caps on. The caps prevent the condensation forming on the optics by not allowing the warm moist air into the tube, instead the heat slowly soaks through, leading to a condensation free temperature balancing (at least, on the optics, the outside of the tube still gets wet).

Even if everything gets damp, it isn't much of an issue. Just let it dry naturally, a few water marks won't have much effect optically.

Hi, you need to cool down reflectors & maks for at least an hour before using really. Once finished you can bring them in and leave the caps off for a while and let them dry. I use dew shields on mine to keep the dew to a minimum whilst outside, these can be home made; I made mine from a £6 camping mat. Their length should be roughly 1.5 - 2 x the diameter of the primary mirror. If there is a lot of condensation some people use hair driers on them, but I have never had to do it. Hope that helps ;) CW

Thanks everyone, esp Cat. I'm off to Wilkinsons to get a camping mat.

Archived