Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

great view of jupiter, not much kuck with saturn

Jnook86

New telescope user here, just bought a Meade Polaris 114EQ-D 114mm Refractor Telescope, took it out 4 the first time and got a breath taking view of jupiter and its moons, could also make out some cloud belts, but when i tried observing saturn later on in the night i couldnt make out the rings at all, it was just a gold cirlce,

Is my scope not powerfull enough for good saturn views? or is rite now not a goode time of year to see saturn good?

yeah im certain, im pretty nifty with stelarium, hahaha, just not so nifty with the scope i guess,haha.

here is the details of my scope, perhaps it aint strong enough?

Product Identifiers

Brand Meade

Model Polaris 114EQ-D

MPN B00005BZ3R

UPC 709942043068

Key Features

Lens Size 4.5 in. (114 mm)

Focal Length 35.4 in. (900 mm)

Optical Diameter 4.5 in. (114 mm)

Optical Design Refractor

Mount Equatorial

Technical Details

Max. Magnification x 36

Finderscope Optical

Motorized No

Dimensions

Measurement 36 x 114 mm

You should have no problem whatsoever seeing the rings with that scope - I could see them very clearly at 60x with my old 60mm refractor. Even my 15x70 binoculars show the rings.

I do wonder if you were looking at the right object.

First time I looked for Saturn I had exactly the same experience, I was baffled as I have a 10" dob and knew I should see the rings clearly. So I checked Stellarium a few times and realised that what I was looking at was Arcturus. Saturn was much lower in the sky and hiding behind the neighbour's extension. I know where Saturn is at the moment using my naked eye now as Spica is very close to it and Arcturus is directly above it.

I've not managed to see the rings in 15x70s but can see them with anything over 40x magnification in my refractor.

What eyepiece were you using?

The 36x maximum magnification doesn't sound right to me. Magnification can be worked out by dividing the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece.

A 25mm eyepiece will give you 36x

A 10mm eyepiece will give you 90x

Your scope should easily be capable of viewing the rings.

First time I looked for Saturn I had exactly the same experience, I was baffled as I have a 10" dob and knew I should see the rings clearly. So I checked Stellarium a few times and realised that what I was looking at was Arcturus. Saturn was much lower in the sky and hiding behind the neighbour's extension. I know where Saturn is at the moment using my naked eye now as Spica is very close to it and Arcturus is directly above it.

Yah, 99% sure it was saturn, its right next to spica which has a blueish white shine 2 it.

I've not managed to see the rings in 15x70s but can see them with anything over 40x magnification in my refractor.

What eyepiece were you using?

The 36x maximum magnification doesn't sound right to me. Magnification can be worked out by dividing the focal length of the scope by the focal length of the eyepiece.

A 25mm eyepiece will give you 36x

A 10mm eyepiece will give you 90x

Your scope should easily be capable of viewing the rings.

Yah, my eye piece is a 25mm, which is 36x, and your saying that i need over 40x to make out the rings?..perhaps the eyepiece aint strong enough. I bought it used and it only came with one eyepiece.

FInally seen it late friday night!!!!!What a breathtaking sight that was!...couldnt make out any cloud blets, but i could clearly see the rings!..tried again last night and the night before and didnt have any luck again though, even though it right there in the sky ahead of me, i just cant seem to get it in my scope,....well atleast i got that one view!! haha

Archived