Dual-Axis D.C. Motor Drive's!! any recomendations??

I use the SW drives with my scope and its great. I just do a very rough polar alignment and its ready to go. It also has slip clutches so you can adjust using the manual controls and then switch over to the drives for fine control and RA tracking. Don't know how I ever managed without it before!

Hi Johnny,

I can't speak for the Orion drives as I've not seen them. The power pack is 4 D cell batteries. I've found they last really well and (even with all the cloud) have managed quite a few hours over a quite a few nights on one set. I couldn't give a you and exact amount only that I'm happy with it in terms of power. That said I'll probably buy 8 rechargeable ones as it is around 6 - 7 pounds a set.

I'm sure it'd be easy to find a power supply for it though, must be someone on here who powers it from a power supply (?). I'll probably stick with batteries as a power supply is another thing to lug around!

I too have the EQ5 Mount driven in Single Axis (RA) by the Skywatcher Standard Battery Operated Drive and for keeping an object in the EP FOV works really well - it's one of the best upgrades I have made to the mount. I didn't go for the dual drive because although the Declination Axis is powered it doesn't actually track along that axis - you have to move it yourself using the control panel buttons. Having said that my EQ3-2 mount has the SW Dual Drives and I can confirm that battery life on either system is very good.

I used mains power with mine. I found a suitable wall-wart power supply from my stash of old ones, fitted a suitable power connector to match the one on the battery pack and it has worked fine. You do need to make sure it can cope with the load though. If not you'll find the motors can randomly stop working.

James

cheer's catweazel,

all input appreciated,im going for the orion one's by the look of things,not because i think they are better but because i can rely

on the seller having them in stock and sending instantly!!!

it's a long story but basicly everything iv'e required over the last 2 mths has been a right pain,and ive found a reliable seller in germany,with better price's and good stock,and quick delivery,

it's like astronomy heaven :D:D

Archived