Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro-photography Scope

Hi,

I'm new to astronomy (other than using binoculars) and I'm interested in starting on the road to astro-photography. I've got a budget of £400 for the scope which I want to use for a while before I save up for the next bit of kit. Basically, what would be the best type/model for this? Living in a city I'll probably be spending more time on planets than deep space but both would be great. I've seen the Explorer 200p (EQ5) which looks really great but without a go-to I'm guessing that it would be tricky to open the lense for long periods whilst the earth rotates.

Any advice?

Can I recomend the Williams Optics Megrez 72. With the flattener/reducer (which is necesary) you may be a touch over budget but... it is a trully lovely piece of kit.

Sit that and an ED80 next to each other and the quality difference is SO obvious.

Optically... either would do... but the WO is just so sexy :-)

Ben

PS: definitely buy Steve's book.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

Read the book first.

Next, decide between planetary and DS because you can't easily do both with the same scope, though if you want to try, and remain on a budget, it has to be a Newtonian. You can't get a planetary focal length with a small refractor but they are easier for DS.

The key thing for DS is the mount, not the scope.

And lastly, WIlliam Optics versus the SW ED80? Hmmm, the ED80 is the greatest giant killer in DS imaging history but maybe the WO looks prettier.

Olly

Archived