NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

dirty primary mirror

on saturday night i used my scope for the first time. after use i made sure the mount and scope was dried properley before putting the tube back in the box it came in for storage. i've just taken it out and looking down the tube the primary mirror looks streaky. should this be cleaned and if so how. its my new baby and i don't want to hurt her. i'm really worried that if i leave it and there was any moisture on it that the mirror may be damaged permanently. i have not put anything inside the tube at all since i got it. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

scott

on saturday night i used my scope for the first time. after use i made sure the mount and scope was dried properley before putting the tube back in the box it came in for storage. i've just taken it out and looking down the tube the primary mirror looks streaky. should this be cleaned and if so how. its my new baby and i don't want to hurt her. i'm really worried that if i leave it and there was any moisture on it that the mirror may be damaged permanently. i have not put anything inside the tube at all since i got it. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thankyou

scott

Hi Scott. First of all don't panic. The streaks will have no effect on the view.

They are most likely to be drips of condensation possibly from storing the tube upright when damp?

I tend to store mine at about 45 degrees and this usually allows the condensation to dry off without dripping.

don't worry though and don't consider cleaning yet - no need.

thanks peter, i've got it in the shed with a dehumidifier and heater on and it seems that its clearing. is it wise to aim a hairdrier down the tube after use to ensure its dry properly before packing away.

Archived