Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

New Baader Plossl's?

Damo636

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They look interesting - I wonder if they will be similar to the Vixen NPL's ?.

We will have to wait until April to see by the look of it.

Baader also have, or had, the excellent Eudiascopic range of modified plossls - perhaps the new ones are to replace those ?:

Eudiascopic

I note that that only the 32mm is a plossl and that the 18mm, 10mm and 6mm are orthos. They are all 55 euros so are a little more than half the price of the BGOs.

There is also a 4 eyepiece turret listed at only 75 euros. The only other turret I know of is from TEC which handles 5 eyepieces, but is $500.

Baader could be anticipating problems with the supplies of the Genuine Ortho's which are Japanese made and are rumoured to have been affected by the Earthquake / Tsunami. The lower pricing could be because these new ones are manufactured in China.

Very interesting, I certainly regret selling my set :p Nagler zoom isn't as crisp thats for sure, much dimmer too.

I would not part with my BGO 9mm, 7mm & 5mm

Even when I have the Nagler Zoom as well for this very reason.

Not night and day difference but discernible.

I would not part with my BGO 9mm, 7mm & 5mm

Even when I have the Nagler Zoom as well for this very reason.

Not night and day difference but discernible.

Thats very interesting Mark. I've owned the Nagler zoom and a number of the Baader GO's but never at the same time so I've not been able to directly compare them. Useful feedback for future consideration - thanks :p

Thats very interesting Mark. I've owned the Nagler zoom and a number of the Baader GO's but never at the same time so I've not been able to directly compare them. Useful feedback for future consideration - thanks :p

No problem John.

The advantages of the Nagler Zoom are variable focal length without faffing about changing EP's meaning you can dial in the magnification for conditions quickly.

The fixed 10mm eye relief is very nice compared to BGO's so is more comfortable to use for extened periods.

The zoom and the BGO's give about the same FOV :)

Baader could be anticipating problems with the supplies of the Genuine Ortho's which are Japanese made and are rumoured to have been affected by the Earthquake / Tsunami. The lower pricing could be because these new ones are manufactured in China.

If this is the case and they can retain the high quality of the originals they will sell shed loads of them at that price.

I thought i saw one on ABS a couple of days ago Mark. I would doubt its still there now though.

Thanks Damo,

I have spent out enough this month so need to rein back my spending for a month or two :p

I have ordered a Semi APO filter for my Achro, A solar continuum & UV/IR Block filters for solar imaging (all 2") and also a HEQ5 steel tripod on its way for my Giro III mount.

Thanks Damo,

I have spent out enough this month so need to rein back my spending for a month or two :p

I have ordered a Semi APO filter for my Achro, A solar continuum & UV/IR Block filters for solar imaging (all 2") and also a HEQ5 steel tripod on its way for my Giro III mount.

What was the FL on the Achro ? The SA was hopless in my F8.3.

From what I have read they perform better with much slower scopes which is IMO quite contradictory as most long FL achros don't suffer as badly with CA anyway. Don't get me wrong I wasn't expecting miracles in a 120mm F/8.3 but at £60 for a 1.25" filter I was hoping to see some improvement on Jupiter. I think the problem was the reviews I had seen prior to getting one myself showed far better results for imaging than I feel they did visually. I even tried using it as a contrast booster in my 8" F/5 newt and could not see any discernable differences. In the end I cut my losses and let it go as it was never getting used.

The semi-achro may be more colour neutral but only at the expense of loss of light. The fringe killer only cuts red and blue/violet at the extremes of the visible spectrum. I use one all the time with me ED scope and find it improves contrast and that the mild straw colour caste is quite acceptable. The semi-apo is more like a Fringe-Killer Filter combined with a Neodymium Moon & Skyglow Filter. See for example:

Filters

Archived