Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

yet another newbie question!

Hello all,

I'm new to astronomy I have decided after a little research that a good way to start is with 10x50 binos to learn the sky and then move on to a telescope.

A couple of questions please ..

can anyone recomend a good pair of binos under £100?

Also I'm thinking ahead for when I do take the plunge and get a telescope I have earmarked the 200p Skywatcher dobson as its in my price range and have read good things about it. How portable is it I live at the edge of a large town so within 10 minutes or so I can be in the countryside in good darkness so I'd like to be able to take it out a bit. Last thing on my mind at the moment is how usefull is using a telescope in town? As I said earlier I plan to get out into better darkness but it would also be nice to have the convenience of using it in my garden.

Any recomendations or advice greatly appreciated ... thanks

Hi... & welcome to the forum

some good 2nd hand binos can be had from charity shops (try em before buying too)...& leaves you more cash in the 'scope fund.

A 200 Dob is a great 'scope to aim for..quick set-up...easy storage...etc

Hello all,

I'm new to astronomy I have decided after a little research that a good way to start is with 10x50 binos to learn the sky and then move on to a telescope.

Me too. I got a pair of Praktica bins for Chrimbo, traded them in (after a few weeks) for a pair of 10 x 50 Olympus DPS I from Amazon for £48. Which I am happy with for the price.

I'm finding the binoc's great for learning the sky, together with Stellarium. It still amazes me how many more stars you can see: bin's vs naked eye.

as to scope portability, if you are a driver it is easy to take an 8" dob out for a walk, just strap the scope in the back seats the base in the boot and off you go.

If you can't spare the 10 minutes or can't be bothered there is a fair bit to see and do from even a very light polluted garden there's observing and webcamming moon and planets (very doable with a dob) the brighter m object are still visible so plenty to see and of course double star hunting.

I live in the middle of a town and suffer from a fair bit of LP. However, I've viewed a fair bit from my back garden with just my 5" Mak. I can see Andromeda clearly though most galaxies are are un-viewable with only a minimum mag of only 37 times. (40mm EP)

However, I can see numerous star clusters both open and closed. I can also see many double stars and even the 'double double' in Lyra I think it is.

The larger planets are excellent. Jupiter and Saturn being stunning. The moon blows me away at any mag right up to an over 200x.

Also a number of nebulae are visible, the obvious being the Orion nebula. I've also seen the Ring and Cat-eye nebulae though these are very faint.

All up you won't be short of things to look at with your 8" Dob when you get it, even from your garden on the edge of town.

Clear skies,

Archived