Pleasant surprise

I have had my Skywatcher 200 Dobsonian now for three days,with two clear nights.My viewing conditions are pretty poor with street lights and the neighbors security light switching on and off but I have seen the moons and bands of Jupiter very clearly. It is -6c here in Canada with a clear sky but I am still surprised at the view considering the light pollution.I followed the comments on these forums before deciding on the 'scope and am very pleaded with it,having used only 7x50 binoculars in the past.I normally wear glasses both for reading and distance with correction for astigmatism,i am able to focus well without them, as I said , a pleasant surprise.

Welcome to the SGL that's a nice scope you got there,

If you haven't already invested I would spend a reasonable amount on your eyepieces, no sense using cheap eyepieces with a decent size fast scope like yours. I highly recommend the Celestron X-Cel LX series or Baader Hyperians as the budget end for your EP's, if you have more to spend I would invest in Celestron Ultima LX series or Pentax's, if you want perfection Televue Ethos/Naglers. This hobby can soon drain your wallet....

For observing hints If you liked Jupiter try out the other planets; right at the moment Venus is easy to find at sunset but beware as it sets quite early in the evening so get out before 8pm, Mars gains a good height relatively early in the evening but gets better around 11pm onwards, and Saturn is visible from midnight but its better to wait till about 2am onwards for the best views when it has risen to a decent height out of the murk.

You really must aim your scope at the Orion nebula it will blow you away! Aim your finder for the sword area of the constellation. Use a medium wide field magnification for your Eyepiece 20 - 25mm should work in your scope, then tighten it up with a 12 or 13mm or you could use a 2x barlow with the same EP.

Most of all have fun, you might like to join a group of observers if you can you will learn a great deal from them. Hope you enjoy all your views from your new scope.

Clear Skies

Phil

Archived