Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

New telescope price depreciation

Okay, so I'm going to buy another telescope, either a C6-SGT or C8-SGT. But the thing is I don't need it right now, I'm not going to really use it until winter comes around again.

So, should I buy it now so I can get used to how it all works, how to set up my cameras on it etc etc? Or should I wait until the winter in the hope that the price will drop drastically?

I read a review of GoTO mounts in Astronomy Now yesterday that said prices were coming down, so theoretically that means the price of other GoTo scopes will also drop.

So the question is: will the price of GoTo scopes drop by much in the next 6 months like happens in computer technology? Or am I kidding myself on?

I wouldn't think that mounts would come down in price like PC's would because the technology for GOTO is pretty basic so the manufacturing costs would be negligable for that. If they were to come down, I would imagine it would be down to other factors like metal prices coming down, increased competition against manufacturers, currency fluctuations etc etc. Even so, I don't think prices will drop drastically, it'll only be a few quid if they do.

Tony..

I wouldn't think that mounts would come down in price like PC's would because the technology for GOTO is pretty basic so the manufacturing costs would be negligable for that. If they were to come down, I would imagine it would be down to other factors like metal prices coming down, increased competition against manufacturers, currency fluctuations etc etc. Even so, I don't think prices will drop drastically, it'll only be a few quid if they do.

Tony..

Well this is it. Right now, what choice do we have for GoTo mounts? Not really that many, and some are much higher priced than others. Like you say, the technology is pretty basic, so all it will take is another two or three people to start selling decent GoTo mounts and the price will drop drastically. In theory.

The price of NEW telescopes doesn't drop considerably. However once purchased the depreciation kicks in. Take a look at the price of second hand 'scopes on astro buy sell then look at how much they are to buy new. This gives you some idea of the SECOND HAND depreciation. New prices are pretty stable

The price of NEW telescopes doesn't drop considerably. However once purchased the depreciation kicks in. Take a look at the price of second hand 'scopes on astro buy sell then look at how much they are to buy new. This gives you some idea of the SECOND HAND depreciation. New prices are pretty stable

I had a look on astro buy sell after you posted the link for me about the C8 OTA. But a lot of those ads mean travelling to get the scope and/or the guarantee has run out. Which, for a GoTO scope isn't on for me since it can all go wrong and demand stupid money to repair.

I just think a very cheap GoTo mount on a par with an EQ5 is around the corner. Let's be honest about it, the manufacturers have the technology, they're just holding back on it until they make their money on the older kit.

But what telescope manufacturer of a half decent size doesn't sell GOTO mounts? The only one I can think of is TAL... Now if say, Synta all of a sudden slashed prices on their mounts, and one of their re-sellers perhaps Skywatcher passed those savings on, then it'd be a different story. But as they're the cheapest, I can't see that particular one happening. And like I say, if they were to drop, I don't think it would be much.

I just think a very cheap GoTo mount on a par with an EQ5 is around the corner

There already is. You can buy a CG5 mount with GOTO for just over £400. That's cheap considering it'll take a 10" tube. I'm amazed that we can buy so much for so little right now, let alone if prices dropped!

Tony..

I had a look on astro buy sell after you posted the link for me about the C8 OTA. But a lot of those ads mean travelling to get the scope and/or the guarantee has run out. Which, for a GoTO scope isn't on for me since it can all go wrong and demand stupid money to repair.

I just think a very cheap GoTo mount on a par with an EQ5 is around the corner. Let's be honest about it, the manufacturers have the technology, they're just holding back on it until they make their money on the older kit.

Thats fair enough. In that case then you are probably better off with the CG5GT. For the price you wont get a better mount. It has a high load capacity and the GOTO works well. It will allow you to make a start on photography and should last a while. With the more expensive OTA's the mount price comes down due to the package deal. But keep in mind that unless you are planning on keeping your setup for a long time, the resale value on new kit is much lower than you might expect. This is one reason why I buy most of my stuff second hand. If I want to sell it again and get something different I can usually get close to what I paid for it. You wont get that with new kit.

This is one reason why I buy most of my stuff second hand. If I want to sell it again and get something different I can usually get close to what I paid for it. You wont get that with new kit.

Spot on Gordon - I had my fingers burned with my Megrez 90 - despite being a highly regarded scope that lost about 30%-40% of it's value in a matter of months. I'm afraid I'm unlikely to buy a new scope again for a while !.

I've bought 2 used GOTO systems over the past couple of years and both have been fine - but I guess I would have been in trouble had they gone wrong.

John

I dont mind buying new stuff if I know i'm going to keep it for a while. You get access to excellent service and a 12 month warranty.

I brought my 6SE new and thats a keeper (at least for a bit). Although I also brought my 12" Lightbridge new as that was a keeper too, but finances at the time dictated that it be sold sooner than I would have liked. Lost £200 in that deal!

I brought my 6SE new and thats a keeper (at least for a bit). Although I also brought my 12" Lightbridge new as that was a keeper too, but finances at the time dictated that it be sold sooner than I would have liked. Lost £200 in that deal!

As some witty SGL member observed a while ago "they are all keepers .... until you sell them !" :wink:

John

I can't see anything wrong with buying an used OTA as, unless its been "modified", theres not a lot that can go wrong.

Kaptain Klevtsov

Yeah it is a good idea I suppose. I'll have to watch the 2nd hand adverts for a scope near Glasgow as a lot of people seem to refuse to post them.

Archived